Interests outside of writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marcuslam, Mar 10, 2012.

1. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I love baking, but I don't like cooking dinner... I also love playing guitar and piano, though I still kind of suck at the guitar, just started about a year ago. Drawing is probably my favorite hobby besides writing. I love designing clothes (I'm really girly). A not so girly hobby of mine is playing video games. I don't get to do it that much because of school, as when I start playing I play all day and don't get anything done. Also, my boyfriend hates playing with me because I camp apparently. I prefer to call it winning.

2. baggy

baggy New Member

I used to like indoor rowing and am trying to get back into it but I'm not as fit as I used to be. Swimming. Studying and learning just for the sake of it-mainly history & philosophy. Cooking, baking and cake decorating. Babysitting any one (or all) of my 4 granddaughters

3. Cosmic Latte

Cosmic Latte New Member

Mmm .. yup. Cooking. Also, traveling, hiking, yard work (I love yard work!), letter writing, and coming up with ideas for things I want to do I don't have the time or finances to do - like this new & used bookstore/internet cafe hubby and I have been designing for years. I guess you could say our stopping in at every used bookshop we find is a hobby.

4. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Well this is interesting, i just found out that two of you are girls and I had assumed that you were men because of the avatars. Not that it matters here.

I like kayak fishing, scuba diving, motorcycles, hunting wild hogs with a muzzle loader or crossbow. Laying on the sandbar at the river across the road and drinking beer in the cool, shallow water is a good pastime.

5. lorilee

lorilee New Member

exploring ruined castles and medieval churches, Girl Guides, gardening, my cars, photography and searching out varieties of Gruner Veltliner I can purchase in Canada.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

But wouldn't reading and watching TV be the things you do 'for fun?' :)

7. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I have the most mismatched hobby list ever.

History, languages, bass guitar, bodybuilding, and kickboxing. The last two are more recent additions. I've done archery and fencing in the past, and want to take up horse-riding but it's too expensive.

8. euqroT

euqroT New Member

I enjoy some , printing, gardening, woodworking, drawing, mathamatics, the last one never ceases to amaze me although I could never understand it in school.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Reading (philosophy, history, science, politics, theory, fiction, poetry, plays), playing guitar, listening to music, being with friends, and Scotch - I'm very picky about Scotch, with my favorite being either Johnny Walker Black label or 12 year old Glenmorangie.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i suppose you could say so, if you consider all one does that isn't 'work-related' to be done 'for fun'... however, since i mentor and tutor fledgling writers of prose, poetry, movie and tv scripts, etc. full time, and am also a full time practicing philosopher/writer, then it's actually 'work-related'... ;)

11. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Oh boy... How to condense this:

Beyond writing:
    1. Gaming, on PC and other consoles
    2. Music, namely Guitar and Singing, though I'd love to learn Piano if I could find the time
    3. Archery, now that the weather's starting to cooperate
    4. Reading, of course. Who doesn't love a good book?
    5. Strategy Games, such as Settlers of Catan or Magic: The Gathering.
    6. Live Action Role Playing. The geekiest thing I've seen and done, and sure as h*** love it.

12. Cosmic Latte

Cosmic Latte New Member

Everyone here has such cool hobbies.

Horseback riding can be expensive ... and there are ways to cut the costs. If you are willing to spend the time, private barns may trade - in full or in part - several hours of mucking stalls and other work for a free lesson here and there. Additionally, hippotherapy clinics may exchange volunteer hours in working with kids with autism learn how to ride for a free lesson here and there. It is a fun hobby. You could have stopped by my house a couple weeks back and I would have been happy to teach you, but I'm afraid I just re-homed my girl. :( It wasn't the expense but the time.

13. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin New Member

My interests lie with video games, animals, cooking and learning about the past. I'm a mixed bag of different things.

14. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Main thing that takes my free time up outside of writing is playing in a pop punk band: writing, practicing and recording and producing the stuff (or at least attempting to)

15. MRice

MRice New Member

Interests outside of writing? Oh well... crocheting, counted cross stitch (though just started that), watching hubby play video games, my cats, cooking and umm.. rescuing abandoned dragons.

16. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Always wanted to do outdoor stuff like hike, canoe, camp, walk through ruins, explore stuff...something that keeps me moving and interested.

But in reality, politics, art, physics and theoretical physics (love daydreaming), comedies and anime like Family Guy and One Piece, writing, economics, and a growing interest in mystery, the occult, and the macabre. They are like twisted puzzles of human drama.

17. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Reading :D I'm the biggest bookworm, even if I didn't read many classis books. Also, I would say studying.

18. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

That's cool, Gallowglass. I love to write and play basketball. Those two things are pretty different as well.

Yeah, MRice, I rescue abandoned dragons sometimes, too.

19. jc.

jc. Member

Reading, playing video games, social networking, blogging. I had a pretty good workout routine too but lately I've been a lazy recluse.

20. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

My favourite things outside writing, are reading fantasy/sci-fi novels, as thats where i get my inspiration from, however, i did read Craig Roberson's Snapshot a few days ago. It was ok. Not the best thing I ever read it was a bit predictable... I know nothing about crime and stuff so really my opinion may as well be void.

Anyway.

I also love football, and living in North east of England, I support Sunderland, the rivals of Newcastle, I also play football in my spare time. Other than that I don't really do much other than coursework from all three subjects i do in Sixth Form.

21. cerb123

cerb123 New Member

Gonna sound sad but it's pretty much PC gaming and Guinness -- not necessarily in that order.

22. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

So a sort list. Running, firearms and different shooting sports, motorcycles, trying to make things, (generally fails) hiking/ backpacking, travel, socializing, rising hell, random yelling matches in the subway( rarely but they are epic when they happen).

23. meduso

meduso Member

Fencing when I can, though university life has hit any hopes of training as much as I'd like hard. Music's another great passion of mine, has always been just listening but lately I have been trying to teach myself guitar, went very well for a while but has hit a bit of a rut lately, hopefully if I can find a new song to learn that'll invigorate me some more.

24. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

That's not sad at all, cerb123. I'm a PC gamer, too.

Fencing sounds cool, meduso!

25. cerb123

cerb123 New Member

Was not the gaming I was taking a crack at my self with, it's that I enjoy the Guinness more than the people I drink it with.