1. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

HELP! Troubles with New Novel

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by S-wo, Jan 4, 2009.

So after I had finished writing my first novel in the early part of last year, I thought I would take a seventh month break and then start on my next novel. I don't have any problems really with plot creation since I created the idea for this story when I was in the eighth grade. So far I have written the prologue and two and a half pages of the first chapter. My problem here is that I'm writing a psychological thriller. With my last novel in the category of fantasy/ science fiction, it came along quite easily as I had over a decade of reading fantasy books, playing fantasy and science fiction video games, and watching science fiction cartoons and movies.

I really have no experience in the psycho genre, but I do want to dwell in it. I had a few people recommend some novels in the genre to me, but due to something stupid I did in the past, I am no longer able to check out books in the local library. I'm starting to ponder now if I should instead work on the sequel to my last novel or write another fantasy idea I had. Someone please lend me your advice.

P.S. If any of you have are still in high school and can recall a time where another student was irking you it would be much appreciated if you share it with me you can PM me it if you're uncomfortable posting it here.

2. zorell

zorell New Member

Okay, I read through your OP and I want to know if you have a specific and/or focused question that we could help with. It might be my own ditziness, but I am confused:redface:

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

So you're asking whether to: work on the sequel for the 1st novel you wrote; write a new fantasy novel; or keep going on the psychological thriller.

I would say do any of the above except that last one. You're having a hard time with it, so maybe drop it and go work on the sequel or start a brand new fantasy novel.

4. zorell

zorell New Member

Oh:eek: I second Marina.

I would only disagree if you're attacking it fromt he storyline and not its genre. It's one thing if you're trying to write something you can't; it's another thing if you happen to write something you didn't know you could.

5. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I don't really think that it's not in my ability to write the psycho thriller, I probably just need a little more inspiration first before I write it. I'm starting to think maybe I should work on that sequel I could probably write about seven pages of it now, but I'm still unsure, I was planning to write the psycho thriller now.

6. zorell

zorell New Member

That's what I mean. If you're so unsure about venturing into the new territory, then put it off for awhile and go to a thrift store or garage sale and read up on the genre.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that last suggestion was the best... you don't have to rely on free books from the library, to research a new-to-you genre... garage sales and used book stores are an affordable source of all kinds of books...

8. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Hmm, well I'm not sure about the used books or garage sales either. I'm hit hard from the economy right now with no job, perhaps you could suggest a movie or two? I can get those for free.

9. zorell

zorell New Member

A nickel here, penny there- your couch can furnish a library;)

And, because I'm very bad at the genre lines, I can't reccomend movies- sorry.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

go here and check search for plot elements to get list of movies that may be what you want: http://www.imdb.com/

11. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I suggest this, go to another library. Most towns have more then one and that usually do not keep tabs with each other.

Second to make sure you keep writing I suggest you work on the sequel to your first novel while you research the thriller. Just my two cents.

A garage sale would help as well, or halfprice books. you can find books there from a little change to a few dollars.

www.half.com is also a good place to find good books for pennies on the dollar. I hoped this helped.