International Slang 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 2, 2009.

1. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I agree, it is very fasinating to learn things about other people, the way they live and speak. :)

2. becca

Redneck - Hick; backwoods man; low class; poor; stubborn and/or racist; someone who will live their way, and for what they believe no matter what others think or threaten.

But most interestingly what we use the word redneck for doesn't come from it's original use, as so many words are. They were union coal workers that wore red bandanas around their necks during a battle with non-union workers. So that they could distinguish their own during the frey.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Interesting. I always thought it was a reference to crewcut southern conservatives with sunburned necks, by the 60's longhair hippies and liberals. That was when the term redneck became popular in current times, or at least when I became aware of it.

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Is 'No-brainer' slang or regular US English?
    It came up in a listening practice I had to do with my students today--all the native speakers at my uni are British/Aussie + 1 Canadian, but we use Am. Eng books for Listening and British Eng for Writing LOL imagine the confusion and farting about.
    And does no-brainer mean dumb/stupid or something you don't need to use your brain for?
    And I didn't actually finish the listening because we got talking about Turkish slang, so quite frankly, I couldn't be arsed, sweetie.

5. becca

No brainer -Something you should automatically know; common sense; or shouldn't have to think about it.

6. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

Lol its weird seeing some English peoples entries...coz I'm Enligh but we never say Brilliant, or some of the others! Heres a few of whats seen as actual English words from my area...people are shocked theyre not in the dictionary!

Shan - unfair, not too nice.
    Mingin' - ugly, disgusting.
    Bueur (Bew-er) - somebody good looking.
    Chav / Charver - someone who stands on street corners drinkin 'dirty litres' (bottles of cider), basically really anti-social.
    Boshed - bothered.
    Calm yer teef - calm down.
    Offit - crazy

:) could make a nice nonsensical story with those lol. Homework for you guys - try it! haha
    xxxx

7. becca

8. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Lose your bottle/bottle it ('he bottled it, twat) - lose courage

'I'm bushed/wiped' - feeling very tired

9. rory

rory Active Member

Don't know if these've been mentioned already... I imagine most of then are pretty common outside Canada.

Yak (Yak'd) - Yet another synonym for vomit. There seems to be an awful lot of them. "Watch it, eh! Don't step in the cat yak!"

Jerseyed - To pull the jersey (or sweater or shirt...) over someone's head and then pummel them. From hockey. "They jerseyed him after class."

Deke
    - A move meant to mislead, also from hockey. "He deked left, then scored from the right."

Gorby - Derogatory, what some places call tourists. "Dang gorbies always ruin the snow machine trails."

B'y
    - Boy or buddy. It's more common in the Maritimes (Nova Soctia especially) "What'cha doin', b'y?"

Hoser
    - Stereotypical Canadian male. Often seen Drinking beer, watching hockey and sporting a flannel coat and toque. "You hoser."

Bunnyhug - A hooded sweater. Term used mostly by those from Saskatchewan. "I have twenty-three bunnyhugs in my closet."

10. Kursal

Kursal New Member

Thinking about this reminds me of the flurry of names we have for the more reproductive parts of our body. I'm in a band that has a song about this called "The Many Names for Muff".

Muff, of course, is a lady's naughty bits... I won't list the rest of the lyrics.

Unfortunately, I can't seam to think of anything at the moment which isn't disgustingly clinical in some way. We really do have a plethora of words connected with reproductive or waste bodily functions.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cockney Rhyming Slang though. That is still evolving. I particularly like Antiseptic, which means anti-American...

How did they get to that? Well,

American = Yank

Yank = Septic Tank

Opposite of something septic = Antiseptic.

We also have Barack Obamas which means Pyjamas.

11. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

The Many Names for Muff? Haha I love it! Downloadable on iTunes? =P
    xxx

12. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Ha - antiseptic? never heard that one, made me laugh..

13. sophie.

sophie. New Member

a banger = either: old bashed-up car, a firework or a sausage :p haha

14. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Ha - in Australia we have the rather appropriate "map of Tasmania" as a name for that, amongst many others...

For anyone who failed geography, I'd suggest googling an atlas - the reasons why will most likely be obvious.

15. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Oh and also, I heard that in America tramps are called 'bums' - well here your bum is your arse..I guess that's 'ass' in American English, but here an 'ass' is a donkey :p