1. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

internet in novels

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by afrodite7, Nov 4, 2010.

-are there any novels out there that use the internet in the plot?
    -in my novel there's a lot of internet (they call it extranet).the media is there ,really with the news and magazines and they have their equivalent o youtube,facebook,twitter, cellphones (called something else)ect. are there any fantasy/scifi novels out there with the extensive use of the internet like this?

-i've read scifi novels that only deal with the hacking part,what about the actual internet use?

2. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Well before we can answer that, what kind of internet use are you talking about?

The movie You've Got Mail is about personal correspondence, I'm sure there are plenty of books that deal with social networking seeing as today it's more popular than calling or chat clients.

Read the Otherland quartet by Tad Williams: Heavy, heavy cyberpunk theme in that. Virtual reality, sentient programs and everything. Good stuff.

3. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Most mainstream books and books in a modern setting include every day internet use as a normal part of the story. The same way characters uses telephones in most books with modern day setting.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I see it as perfectly natural for my characters to email/instant message each other at will - comments about their Facebook pages help a lot with character development, for example a character who spends all day debating adding their crush as a friend. It's entered the way we think in the modern world, so you'd be a bit silly to ignore it. People relying on old media for communication will instantly date your story, even if you mean it to be set in this time but were just hesitant about your characters using it.

5. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I love writing passages of IM or texted conversation. Dialog at its absolute minimalism.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

There was even lots of old science fiction from the 1940s and 50s that featured internet-like concepts, with instant messaging and gigantic databases accessible from anywhere.

7. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

The internet is an everyday thing for the majority of the global population. To write a contemporary novel without mentioning it would be bizarre; to write a futuristic novel without it, even more so.

8. Ruth Jacobs

Ruth Jacobs New Member

I don't know if you are aware that 'extranet' is information technology terminology for a particular kind of computer network

9. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-yeah,but it is an extranet;the general public can't get to it but in this the general public is earth.people on this planet can't get to the extranet but they can get to our internet.

-its kinda like an internet that runs through the universe!:)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then why not call it the 'outernet'?... or 'uninet'?

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Spacenet. Omninet. Versenet. Maybe just Net.

12. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-hmm...you're right,i actualy like versenet. thanx:)

13. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

In Ender's Game they have something similar to the Internet but its referred as just The Nets. Peter and Valentine(enders sibblings) and use the nets with the aliases Locke and Demosthenes to write political essays and such. Very much similar to blogs. They also join political forums to discuss their opinions and such and manage to get a large following. I think they managed to split most of the world into two factions each supporting either Peter or Valentine. Well their alias anyways.

14. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

intranet is the proper term for a private network. Internet is generally publicly available, an intranet is firewalled, and secured with very angry gatekeepers. There is only one Internet, but just about every major corporation and many smaller businesses have an intranet.

15. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I see little point in calling it something other than what it is unless you're trying to invent a fictional colloquialism or perhaps demonstrate some future evolution.