1. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

Less Descriptive Script OK?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Rem Nightfall, Sep 16, 2008.

'Ello.
    Well this has nothing to do with pesky words, just in case you assumed. No it is another more complicated problem I have. I write my comic book out on paper like a script, but it isn't a script in the sense that I write it out as what its going to look like on my paper that will have the lovely ink and pictures. Now I'm not sure how many people have read a comic book script and I'm afraid that no one is going to see anything when they read the script. Since my scripts aren't exactly the most descriptive in the world, I assume its because I am writing a comic book I have the sense of what is going on and what does every scene look like. Everything in my script is brief descriptions.
    Okay, I better stop rambling and ask the dang question shouldn't I. Is this all right to have a less descriptive script? Will it affect me in any way, shape, or form?
    Thank you for answering I really appreciate it, I also appreciate you reading through my confusing detail of how my writing life goes.

Here and Now
    ~Rem Nightfall

2. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Just leaves more for you to remember.

I don't see any problems other then that.

3. Leo

Leo New Member

Comic book scenes are usually best if they're simple and striking, I'd say.

So if anything it'll help.

4. Kylie

Kylie New Member

I think that makes sense since it's going to be comic book. It would be a little weird if the script had a ton of description when what is happening is already right in front of the reader. Like Ungood said, it just leaves more for you to remember...

5. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Depends, really. I never wrote much on the script except for dialogue and what expressions I want to emphasize or things I want to focus on in panels. I can't recall ever drafting a full script.

With comics (I draw japanese comics and doujinishi/fan comics) I used the same process I did while I was studying as an in-between for animation: storyboarding.

What matters in the end is the product anyway. You're not going to be turning in the script for a comic but the comic itself, right?

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Well...if you're the only one who's going to read this comic script, then what does it matter how you write it? It's basically a rough draft that only you will see as you translate it into images, right? So...whatever works best for you? :/

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it all depends on what the script's purpose is...

if you're doing the drawing, it won't matter, will it?...

if you're working with an illustrator, then you need to ask him/her, not us...

and if you intend to submit it to publishers, you need to follow their guidelines, not ours or your own...