Tags:
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Is my protagonist an anti-hero??

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Link the Writer, Sep 2, 2011.

Basically, I'm starting to think Heridon Copper is more of an anti-hero than I previously expected. He does things his way, he won't do anything unless it best suits him or his interests.

For example, if a little girl who was part of the mystery he was solving got kidnapped, he's not going to do a damned thing except let the cops handle it. This, despite some of his friends telling him he has to go after her. However, by having his cousin be kidnapped as well, it gives him a motive even though it's more "save my cousin, the other girl's just secondary".

If the girl's the daughter of a professor or supervisor that's treated him like shit, he's going to balk if someone tells him to go after her and, again, he'll only actually go after her if his cousin was in mortal peril as well. (if not his cousin, then one of his friends or his love interest.)

As he describes himself, "I'm a cynical bastard who thinks being a 'hero' is boring, and if I'm gonna get anything done, I do it my way and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I don't care about their problems. The only thing I'm concerned with are myself, my family, and my friends. The rest do not matter...much."

Of course, he does have his pluses, but this is basically what I see of him.

Is this what you'd define an anti-hero? Or is Heridon just insane? What other ways could I make him an anti-hero?

Thoughts?

BONUS: If it helps, I picture him as a college-aged, non-medical equivalent of Dr. House, except without a cane.

2. Xyphon

Xyphon New Member

I'd say he's a bit of an anti-hero, if he does save the day, that is. He could be considered insane as well, but I'd say he's just as he described "a cynical bastard".

3. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Yep.
    Selfish and grudging is not exactly an ideal hero characteristic.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I think he just seems human, rather than unrealistically perfect superhero. With the little girl being kidnapped, at least he does report it to the cops and let them handle it - most people would do this, not rush out to solve the case himself (until he had more personal stakes).

Besides, people love House. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

He sounds to me like one of my work mates actually. Not so much an antihero as a grumpy old bastard with a self serving heart.

Cheers.

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Oops! Posted in wrong thread.

7. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

No, he's not an antihero.

He's a... cynical rogue, who possesses compassion but hoards it.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    ^ Great example, haha.

People love anti-heroes! Especially women. Well, as a woman I can say I find them alot more appealing.

9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Which could explain why his love interest loves him so much. XD

I think Heridon's just a guy looking out for himself, not wanting to be a, as he quotes, "hero out of a book".

10. NaughtyNick

NaughtyNick New Member

It should be

"The only things I'm concerned with are myself, my family, and my friends."

if this is a genuine line from your story. Although I would rephrase it not to use the word "things".

11. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

He doesn't sound at all like an anti-hero to me - and he doesn't sound insane, either. What you have sounds like a realistic protagonist.