1. TheArtfulWeber

TheArtfulWeber New Member

Into the Wild

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheArtfulWeber, Apr 6, 2008.

Has anyone seen this movie? I'd like to know what other people have to say about it.

2. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I thought the main character was an idiot. I lost a lot of respect for him when he left his little sister with abusive parents. It's pretty obvious how much that girl cared for him, yet he didn't even call her once in two years. I understand the need to be alone sometimes, to figure out who you are, but he took it overboard and that's why he's dead.

3. TheArtfulWeber

I couldn't agree more! His whole idea was a flaw. When he was talking about his influences at the start of the movie, I already had an idea where the plot was going. The only redeeming part of the movie for me was when he brought down the moose with what looked to be a .22 rifle. I don't think he researched his theory enough before attempting to live it and therefore died as a result.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I had trouble believing that he did bring down a moose with a .22. You'd have to hit it in the exact right spot in its head in order to kill it, or seriously incapacitate it. It would be like shooting a person with a BB gun. It'd hurt the person, but it wouldn't seriously injure them.

5. TheArtfulWeber

I find it funny that rather than discussing the character's motivations and such that we question the moose scene. However, he did shoot the animal about 5 or 6 times if I remember correctly. A .22 could actually kill a moose. Average .22 bullets are about 55 grains and if he shot 6 of them...that would be 330 grains which is about equal to the bullet of something larger than 30 caliber. Even more, the 6 bullets wouldn't be in the exact same location. It would appear to have a similar impact of what a 12 gauge buckshot on steroids would do.

6. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Hm, for some reason I only remember him firing once. I saw it in theaters a while ago, and when I was watching it, I had a pretty serious fight with a really good friend of mine. I've tried to block that out.

7. TheArtfulWeber

Just keep blocking it out. The movie is not worth remembering.

8. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Did you see There Will Be Blood? I'm convinced that was the best movie of 2007, next to No Country For Old Men.

9. TheArtfulWeber

I have not actually had a chance to watch it all the way through, but my roommate had it on his computer and I was half-watching it while I wrote a paper. No Country For Old Men was a pretty good flick though.

10. lessa

lessa New Member

It is possible to kill a moose with a 22 you have to be extremely lucky to do it though.
    A 22 will also kill a polar bear but there again luck is definetly on your side.
    Haven't seen the movie but it is on Pay for Vue this month so I might watch to see just what mistakes this guy made.
    It is possible to live off the land but it takes a lot of research, planning and luck.
    Not many people can do it. The solitude would get to you first and then everything goes down hill.

A question about the moose. Did it drop right there or wander for miles. If it dropped then that is movie magic if it wandered then possibly.

11. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

You should really do yourself a favor and watch it. Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible.

12. Cicero

Cicero Banned

I read the book then saw the movie. Both were great. If you didn't read the book, though, you need to. It makes a lot more sense as to why he left, and what kind of state of mind he was in during all of that.

I thought it was pretty amazing. One of my favorite books and favorite movies of all time. An amazing guy, in my opinion.

13. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

You completely missed the point of the movie if you believe that.

He was amazing and inspiring. A truly beautiful journey of personal discovery.