1. darklordbob

darklordbob New Member

Introducing my world

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by darklordbob, May 3, 2008.

So I've been having some trouble introducing my world. I need to introduce some of the groups and places rather quickly as they interact with eachother a lot, but I don't want to do it in a boring way, or so fast that I lose people. I also don't want to do it so slowly that people have a hard time figuring stuff out...

Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

In case you need an idea of the world I'm trying to introduce...

My story takes place in the city of Second Aeden, a shelter built beneath Washington D.C. after the world froze over. The group who built the shelter is a large group of scientists and engineers known as the Atlantis Organization. They are also responsible for the world freezing, and are hated by pretty much everyone. Another thing this group does is they create what are called Immortals, which are essentially a kind of cyborg, though no two Immortals are the same. Each Immortal is as unique as an individual human, and they all have different abilities.

Another group is the Church of Light, a religious group led by the Angel of Light, Seraziel, and worships the Goddess of Light, Zyvn. Seraziel preaches that she is the messenger of Zyvn and that by worshipping Zyvn and waiting for her return, they will be spared the doom that shall soon be unleashed upon the rest of mankind.

The final group is the Crimson Inquisition, a sort of military group that has taken control of Second Aeden. All of the members look the same. They have red bodysuits with ebony crosses over their hearts. They also wear golden helmets/masks with black faceplates that allow them to see out of the mask, but others can't see in, sort of like one-way mirrors. The only person who doesn't share this faceless appearance is the leader, Anthony Kale, also known as the High Inquisitor. The Inquisition controls the city, seeks to destroy the Atlantis Organization, kills any Immortals it finds, and uses Seraziel and the Church of Light to pacify the masses.

If you have any questions, let me know.

2. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    I'd introduce people by showing them in action.

Have a scene with the Atlantis Organization creating an Immortal. Have one of them comment on how cold it is outside (or they could look out a window, if they have any).

Have the Church of Light listen to Seraziel preach.

Show the Crimson Inquisition meeting with Seraziel or attacking the Atlantis organization, or both.

3. darklordbob

darklordbob New Member

That's a really good idea... I wish I had thought of it before...

Thanks!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As an overall approach, I'd introduce only the names of the factions fairly early, and only as they would come up in conversation. Let the readers wonder for a while, but gradually show members of the groups in action. Sneak in little tidbits about each group as the story circumstances permit, but always leave the reader curious and hungry for more.

Never force feed backstory. Make the reader salivate instead.