1. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo New Member

As requested.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tyunglebo, May 4, 2008.

I will introduce myself to these forums.

My name is Ty, and I am 30 years old. I live in Maryland, and to one extent or another, have been writing all of my life. Not surprisingly, the nature of my writing has changed over time, but a desire to write has not.

With the exception of one or two very small literary magazines years ago, I have never been published. (No body seems to ever want any of my stuff.) In each of those cases it was for my poetry. I used to be quite a prolific poet, despite the lack of publication, but I found myself in a years long dry spell, where only a trickle of poetry made its way to my pages. I have in the last year or so started to increase the amount of poems I write, but nothing like my busiest time, so far.

Alot of what I write is non-fiction. I enjoy writing movie and book reviews, as well as "life essays", ala Robert Fulghum and the like. I do however write some fiction, and have increased my fiction output somewhat in the last few years. IN that time I have written a dozen or so "micro-short" stories, with the help of a book. I have also written several early drafts of a screenplay, a first draft of a novel adaptation of a Shakespeare play, and a memoir of one of my own personal experiences from back in college.

I participated in this years Nanowrimo, and won. (Though I have not yet finished the piece, and certainly have not edited it yet. It remains a first draft. I'm also in the middle of a screenplay adaptation for my novel adaptation of the Shakespeare I mentioned earlier.

I recently got a book opn short story writing, and while that has not been an area of fiction I have done much with, it has always intrigued me, and I hope to get into it...as I think it may be one of the genres most suited to my temperment.

Writing fiction frustrates me quite a bit, all that being said. I have many ideas running around in my head, only a fraction of which ever make it to paper, and even a smaller fraction of which make it to completion. And the ones that do never seem to pick up an audience. But at least I know I am not alone in that maddening experience, and hope to meet and talk to fellow writers with similar feelings.

I also keep a blog that discusses my thoughts and adventures as an amateur actor in my community. (One of my other passions.) I talk about the plays I am in, thoughts on my characters, etc. I also share opinion about acting and theatre in general. I wasn't sure about the policy of posting links, so I will not mention where the blog is right here, but if you are curious, PM me and I will be glad to share.

I also have a weekly internet radio show, and the same goes for the link to that if you are interested. I always love getting more listeners.

A supplemental income of mine comes from my work as a ghostwriter. I specialize in letters and other private communications for clients, but also write alot of speeches for people. I occasionally write other things as well. I will give anyone who may be interested in that a link to my business website in a PM as well. (I am obviously well connected online...)

So, that is that. I look forward to checking out these forums.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Ty, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hello Ty...welcome to the forums!!

4. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the Forums :)

5. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey there :) Welcome to WF.org.

6. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay :-D

7. Raven

Raven Banned

welcome.

8. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Hiya. Hey, getting published in any literary magazine is more than lots of people have done. Keep up the hard word and it'll pay off!

9. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome to the forums.

10. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo New Member

Thanks. Hopefully I will find the encouragement to do so as I wander around these forums!

11. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hi Ty, welcome to the forums. I participated in this years Nanowrimo too, but only achieved 40k. Maybe next year :)

12. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo New Member

Almost!