Introversion or extraversion, what are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimHarris, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

How very mercenary of you. It sounds like the idea of being helpful for the sake of it isn't a concept you're familiar with. That makes you sound very limited (retarded even) in how you interact with people, always looking out for yourself, very selfish.

2. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I'd say I can be both, but if I had to choose one, I'd say I'm 3/4 introvert. But I never would categorize myself as solitary or shy. I call myself a 'thinker' I think before I speak, I use my words wisely rather than 'open my mouth and let my stomach rumble' talk nonsense in other words. I think lots of writers are introverted, have to be to write as it is a solitary task and not a group exercise.

3. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

Well, better than being chick, dude

Nobody takes the help just for the sake of it

4. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

Personally write because i want to. Its a good time filler and there is a chance i could make some money out of it.

I would never rely on my writing for an income but it would be nice. I do receive a certain amount of attention from my writing and i don't think i would write if i didn't but i think that was more of the initial spark than the enduring flame.
    At saying that, if absolutely no one took an interest in my work i would probably eventually stop. I dont think this is usual, i think most people need some form of encouragement.

5. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

If what you were trying to say was; 'That wasn't very introverted of you,' then you don't understand the meaning of the term introvert. Introverts have no trouble with communication, ie; telling someone they're unintelligent.

6. Teodor Pravický

Yeah, but they realy dont count on with social values and stuff as you did

7. TimHarris

TimHarris Member

It must be sad to be as ignorant as you?

There are few things in the world that feels as good as helping other people just for the sake of helping, while asking nothing in return. If you treat every human interaction as a trade, you will be perpetually unhappy. You seem to view everyone else as being out for themselves and you dont think you should offer other people anything because they will take advantage on you. This is wrong. Yes, some people are selfish and only looking out for themselves, but I believe the reason why is that society tell us from early on that we have to fight for what we can.

In cultures where sharing and altruism are main values, there are hardly any theft, no murder, very little violence. I dont like to tell people they are wrong, but you should seriously have a look at your own attitude towards your fellow human beings.

8. Teodor Pravický

If you get used to get the help, you will count on it and most likely won't question it. People don't even question each other or the authority this way. The same goes with the money or salary involved. However there is a way of separating people's actions from the point they helped in the past. Thanks for the story idea ;) But it has nothing to do with the stuff you just said.

9. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Saying retarded is clearly very harsh. I wouldn't use that word. Maybe socially awkward? I can understand if there's a tendency for introverts to be dominated in social groups. That's why, even if I'm slightly uncomfortable in certain groups, I'll say something if it needs to be said. It's very important, introverted or not, for you to get your point across. Otherwise people will think you're weak.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The literal meaning of retarded is held back or slowed. Unfortunately, in social terms it has unfortunate additional connotations, which I don't think were intended in this case. But I could be wrong.

Even taken literally, though, it's somewhat of a value judgement that introversion is due to stunted development, rather than a personal choice or characteristic.

11. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Maybe it is due to stunted development, who knows? I think it says a lot about the society we live in and what's expected of us as people that introverts are, in essence, disparaged. We're expected to be confident, outgoing, relaxed around people, funny. And it's these type of people tend to be more popular and more well-liked. (I could be seriously over-generalizing)

Put it this way, all things considered: would you employ someone who didn't know how to hold a conversation? Or who felt uncomfortable around people?

12. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

i would have thought that that would depend on the job. personally i would much rather have someone working for me that felt socially misplaced and so focused more on work.

13. TimHarris

TimHarris Member

Why do we assume that just because people are better speakers, they will do a better job? Judge character and merit, not words.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Mackers, being an introvert does NOT mean socially inept. It only means the person PREFERS solitude. Watch your assumptions!

15. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Not everybody need to hold conversations and speeches. Unless you are looking for a charlatan or stand up comedian, I don't see any problem in employing someone who feels uncomfortable around people, as long as he does his job well.

Just as one example, there are many great musicians that feel uncomfortable in front of crowds, even if they bask in the adoration of fans.

16. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

I'm not saying they are. But, an introverted person > internalizes thoughts > doesn't engage in conversation too much > prefers solitude > people see this and will judge accordingly. Whether they describe this as socially inept or not is up to the person concerned. They can call it whatever they want. A tolerant person would accept you for who you are. Someone else on the other hand might see it as weird, eccentric, whatever. The point is that perceptions are reality.