1. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

Resource wanted (phonaesthetics)

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Sifunkle, Dec 7, 2014.

Just wondering if anyone's come across something I've been scouring the internet for, so far unsuccessfully:

Something like an online word compendium with an 'advanced search' option that could generate a list of words that meet certain criteria. I'm not talking about their meanings, but just the way they're constructed from letters. For example, being able to search for words with 2-3 syllables, that contain the letters T, L and P, but not U or S, and are less than 10 letters long. (That's just an example; I'm not actually trying to find such a word.)

For my current purpose, I'm trying to find a word with certain phonaesthetics (i.e. just sounds a certain way, like how many believe 'cellar door' to be a beautiful phrase), but its meaning would be mostly immaterial. My criteria are too loose for anything to just spring to mind, so I was hoping to find a tool I could play with to generate a 'longlist', which I could skim through to shortlist words that might fit the context I have in mind. It wouldn't even have to be in English necessarily. My next best option is probably reading a dictionary. I might become a better writer for it, but I don't think I've got the time or sanity.

I may be slipping through the looking glass, but if anyone's already ahead of me I'd love to hear from them!