1. Kasubi

Kasubi Member

Irish Mythology - Book of Leinster

Discussion in 'Research' started by Kasubi, Feb 20, 2015.

Any Irish mythology buffs in here? Anyone know what the Book of Leinster actually says about the air demon incident that killed Bé Chuille? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9_Chuille

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

If memory serves it says precious little. There are full transcripts/translations available online, but I doubt you'll find too much more detail than you are already aware of, and it has been my experience for everything you glean, you'll find a conflicting version of the story. Her fire is stolen somewhat by the loss of Nuada's arm, I'm afraid. Much in the Mythological Cycle is debatable and subject to interpretation. It's no wonder so much gets recycled, as no one can point the finger and say, "But that's not what happened," and because the details have been so over-elaborated upon over time, the truth plays second fiddle to the storytelling. Only yesterday I was playing a video game that borrowed heavily from the myths of the Tuatha, Fir Bolg and Fomorians.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Kasubi and jannert like this.
  3. Kasubi

Kasubi Member

Thank you! No, that's perfect. I just wanted to make sure no one could point and say 'But that's not what happened' before doing something that probably didn't happen ;)

Sorry, I am about to rehash something. Hopefully I'll do it well enough to be forgiven.

4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Good, good... I think there's a lot of room for artistic license, I really do, so I wouldn't let existing texts put you off. I mean, look at how many incarnations there have been in one form or another of the war witch the Morrigan, and each personification has been tweaked to fit the needs of the story.

Go for it, and have fun. :D

Kasubi likes this.