1. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

Writing out measurements

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Sarita Noel, Oct 5, 2013.

Hi all,

I'm having problems tracking down how to write out measurements.

"A 2 ft by 2 ft box about 18 inches deep is about right." is the phrase in question. Have I written it out correctly? Or should I spell out the number two since it's less than ten? Do I abbreviate "foot" ?? Do I use an "X" instead of "by"?

Ugh, I just don't know!
    Thanks for your thoughts.... if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I like to use Purdue Owl since it's what my editors favor, but couldn't find what I needed there. (Or I was looking in the wrong spot.)
    This is really the first article that has measurements in it, hence my frustration. LOL

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Have you checked here?

3. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

Well, I checked that link out and all it seems to mention (that pertains to me) is not to put a period after ft when abbreviating. The question is, should I abbreviate? I'm thinking that I'm going to go with 2 ft x 2 ft, unless someone chimes in that knows for sure that that's wrong. Thanks!

4. thirdwind

The only time I've seen units of measurements abbreviated is in science/engineering papers. In most other cases, I would imagine you would write it out, though I'm not 100% sure on this. As far as numbers are concerned, the Chicago Manual of Style says to write out all numbers less than and including 100. If that's not the style guide you follow, then I would consult another one.

By the way, what exactly is this for? If we knew that, then we might be able to be of more help.

5. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

It's an article that I'm writing for Constant Content on a vermicomposting project. Basically a "how-to" type of article. Thank you for your feedback. I'm assuming you meant all numbers up to 10? Not 100?

6. thirdwind

No, I meant 100. The CMoS says 100. But like I said before, if there's another style guide you have in mind, go with that. The good thing about the CMoS is that it's used by a lot of people, so you can't really go wrong with it.

7. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

As far as I'm aware, Constant Content is fine with whatever style I want to use, as long as I'm consistent.

*Sigh*

I still don't know what I'm going to do. I've posted the same question on the CC forums, so maybe someone will come up with something there.
    So, according to the CMoS, I'd write it "two ft x two ft"? That just doesn't look quite right to me. Maybe I should just change the sentence to omit the measurements. It's not a critical part of the article and I could get away with it, but now I really want to know! I'm sure it will come up again in the future, anyway. I'm a new writer for CC, just having had nine articles accepted and one sold. I'm still really paranoid about getting those rejections and possibly getting booted from the site. I feel CC has some very real potential once I build up a portfolio of articles.

8. thirdwind

If it were me, I would go the formal route and spell out all numbers under 100 (like the CMoS says) and spell out units as well ("two foot by two foot box").

9. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

Thanks guys... I think I will go ahead and spell everything out. FWIW, Constant Content directs us to Strunk & White, Harbrace Harcourt, and Purdue Owl. I think those are more MLA and APA.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it's for an article and a 'how-to' then you would use the numbers, since that's what readers would go by in following your directions... it would make no sense at all to spell them out...

if it's for a work of fiction, it would have to be spelled out...

11. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

Thank you, Mammamaia. I haven't submitted the article yet, so I'll go ahead and change it. It looks better written 2 ft by 2 ft, anyway... should I spell out "foot"?

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no, you don't have to write it out if it's directions for making something...

can even be 2' x 2'

check out other articles in the same publication to see what's the norm...

13. Sarita Noel

Sarita Noel New Member

Well, I submitted already and wrote it "A two foot square box about eighteen inches deep." We'll see what the editor thinks, I guess....

Thanks for your input, everyone.