1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Irregular timeline- is it a problem?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tesoro, Jun 12, 2012.

I'm writing a story with a little irregular timeline. The first hundredandfifty pages or so are all connected timewise, as in there are no bigger jumps in time other than maybe a day or a weekend. But then around pg. 200 or a little before, the chapters take up with some distance in time from the last one, and right now I'm getting a feeling that it might read a little ... I don't know the word for it! That it gives a discontinuous feeling when you read it, because before it was all connected timewise. Is this a bad thing? The thing is the story take place during almost one year of the characters lives, but the first 2 months are very intense and then things start to slow down and by chapter 26 each new scene take up a couple of weeks or even a couple of months after the last one, only to grow in intensity again towards the end. Is this an ok way to write it? When i read through I had a feeling that the jumps wasn't very smooth, is there a way to make them less drastic, and make sure the reader won't say "whoa, wait a minute..." when he reads it?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How many jumps? If it's only a couple, or a handful, consider making them part boundaries, with several chapters per part.

Such major discontinuities are often THE reason a novel is split into parts.

3. Tesoro

Hm, I'm not sure I understand what you mean... So far they are just a handful, but I guess there will be a couple more before I reach the end. Do you mean I should split these chapters in two, or even divide the entire book in different parts?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Book : (optional)parts : chapters : scenes : paragraphs : sentences : words+punctuation.

5. Tesoro

Hehe. I get it. It was the "part boundaries" that Got Me confused. Thanks for the advice. I Will definitely consider it.