1. friendly_meese

friendly_meese New Member

is a diarist still a writer?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by friendly_meese, Aug 14, 2014.

For the past week, maybe 10 days, I've been writing only in my diaries, but I've been writing about 3,000 to 3,500 words of diary entries each day. If I keep this up, then I'll have about one million words' worth of diaries in a calendar year.

I am perfectly content to write only diaries for the time being. I can still enjoy the act of writing, and the sole drawback is that some of the content is so personal that I can't show the diaries to anyone.

The question for you is: does someone who is only a diarist count as a writer? I can foresee arguments from both sides.

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Depends on how you use the word writer.
    Sure, a diarist can write the same way anyone else can write.
    There's also the chance a diarist can write the way an art writer writes.
    It's the same amount of work, just a different format, and creates the same effect.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I've been reading and enjoying Richard Burton's diaries - so I'm going to say yes. You're doing something most writers do anyway, putting your viewpoint into words - the only difference is that we filter ours through fiction and plot.

4. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

I guess it depends on how you're writing. If you're trying to be creative versus a matter of fact. The entries obviously are nonfiction but you can still "flavor it up."

So, "Today I went to the store and I bought Ramon noodles again. I prefer the shrimp but they only seem to sell chicken. I think I'd like even beef over the chicken. My mom used to get on me about eating Ramon all the time because of all the MSG in it"

This is all just matter of fact statements. If you could add a little flavor (there's an MSG joke in there somewhere) then I personally would constitute that as writing; almost as though you are writing for an audience by being creative with it but with no intention of ever showing it to anyone.

This is just my opinion so please take it with a grain of....MSG ;)

cutecat22 and peachalulu like this.
  5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It really depends on your definition of "writer." Some people think a writer is simply someone who writes, and some think you have to be published to call yourself a writer.

Want my advice? Don't worry about definitions and just write.

Link the Writer likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

So long as you take the time to write something, you're a writer. I write in my journals, for instance. I take the time to sit down and click away at my keyboard. I don't expect to publish it, or for anyone to read it. I don't expect money off of it. It's just something I do.

As peachalulu said, you're still putting your ideas out on paper, you're just not doing it via characters and plot.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Diarists are still writers because they write.... for anyone to say otherwise have flawed judgement on what constitutes as a "writer".