Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Is Big Beautiful?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carmina, Jan 2, 2009.

A lot of people resolve to lose weight for New Year's. In another thread, I got quite a respose to mentioning to SlimFast breakfast. So, I thought a thread about weight and body issues might be interesting. Are people here happy with their size and shape? Anyone trying the old weightloss routine? Anyone have any advice on getting in shape or accepting what you have? Anyone want to rant about how the media is distorting our perception of what is normal and what is beautiful? Post here.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Personally, I don't find skinny attractive. I think people obsessively pursue a ridiculous ideal of size zero, or whatever the ****, and it really isn't attractive to me. When I hold my girlfriend, I don't want to be poked endlessly by jutting bones. But I think I'm (as usual) in the minority here.

3. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Thank you for starting this! I posted this in the Tavern, but I will pose this question here also.

You know what kills me guys? I was just looking into the differences in dress sizes over the years and ran across this quote:

I would kill myself if I was that fat. Elizabeth Hurley about Marilyn Monroe's dress size.

Who on god's green earth could consider Marilyn Monroe anywhere in the neighborhood of obese?
    _

And on a side note. I think it is wise to maintain your weight. But I think the reactions you got are responses to the pics you've put here in the members pic area. You're very beautiful and it does seem excessive that you are resorting to slim fast to lose weight. Just an opinion btw.

Not about you being beautiful--that's not open to debate. :D

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

For me I think that this society, especially in America, we tend to focus to much on the image. We don't ever focus on the inside, but the image.
    And you know people should realize your body size is perfect for you and my body size is perfect for me.
    And you know its not always about diet and exercise. Genetics have a large role to play with this as well. Genetics are the sole key if you are going to be slightly bony or slightly meaty.
    But that doesn't make you not beautiful. Everyone is beautiful in their own special and unique way.

5. Carmina

I am not resorting to slimfast...that has just been my lazy breakfast of choice for years. I drank it when I was a 6 and when I was a 2. It is either that or I just dont eat breakfast. As for weightloss...I would like to get back to a 2. That is what I was when I was going to the gym and in good shape. I have been more lax about excercising and am starting to be bothered by the difference I see. I tried on some lingerie I hadn't worn in 6 monthes and didn't like the little extra I saw around the waist. I just want ot get back in shape and tone up a bit. I don't want my ribs to poke people when I hug them or anything.

6. garmar69

These were a couple of responses to my question over in the Tavern that I'll respond to here.

In my reading, I noticed that 'vintage' styled dresses are way smaller than their size. One woman was talking about how her dress size was a 4-6 and to find a dress that fit her she had to pick from the 12-14 rack. Wtf?! Now wonder women are so size conscious.

7. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

After years of being extremely unhappy with my body I'm slowly learning to accept it and be proud of my differences

I'm much taller than most girls my age (i'm 5'11) and consequentially I have a larger body frame and thus body mass. I'm not neccessarily 'fat', because I'm hardly overweight clinically- even though I've spent the last couple of years thinking that because I didn't understand why my body was 'different' to other girls my age- I thought it was fat I was supposed to lose to be 'normal' when really it's actually bone and muscle

it's a pretty warped perception if you think about it, lol

but to answer the question, I don't think it's really 'bigger' is beautiful.. it's more.. 'your build and body shape is beautiful'...

if we had a greater nth of acceptance of our body shapes and builds, I'm pretty sure we'd all be more focused on stuff like 'toning up' and being 'healthy' rather than just 'losing weight'

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    As long as your weight (whatever it may be) Isnt a serious risk to your health then i dont see why you shouldn't think you're beautiful.

I've never ever accepted my body, but i'm trying my best to now.
    I've thought i was the fat ugly kid from 5 years old, and i know because i remember being a bridesmaid at that age and wanting to cry because i wasnt like my cousins.

I still feel ugly but that's an inner personal thing that i think alot of people suffer from, so whatever your weight (As long as it isnt a risk) ,at the end of the day, only you can make yourself feel beautiful. You just have to accept who you are.

9. garmar69

Sorry about the way I phrased that Carmina. I have a bias about Slim-Fast. I was more pointing out that the stuff is crap than that I thought you were desperate in any way. :)

I can understand the temptation of skipping breakfast. In a hurry, trying to get the kids out the door etc. A much better alternative that only takes me 2-3 minutes tops is to heap skim milk, fruit, yogurt and soy protein powder into one of these.

[​IMG]

I bought mine through QVC. A ring screws onto the same container you blended it in and you can drink it on the way out the door if needed. Of course you can make your smoothie any way you want to as far ingredients go.

10. Carmina

I know it is warped, but when my sister got married and I was a teenaged bridesmaid, she weighed 82 pounds at 5'4". I felt huge at my 115. Now, I wish I could be 115 again ( I am like 123). A lot of our perception is based on comparisons. I don't know if that is good or bad. When Hollywood shows you stick people...that can make "normal" people feel huge.

11. Carmina

Sounds good, only I can't eat yogurt. It is made with gelatin which goes against my vegetarianism.

12. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Someone shoot me if I ever go over 55kg. If I'm heavy, I feel sluggish and 'wrong'--but I've never dieted in my life. I just don't feel hungry if I get above my normal weight, so it goes back to normal again.
    It's nothing to do with how I look, though, it's how I feel.

13. garmar69

I've heard that some of the soy yogurts don't use gelatin. Also, some use pectin like Dannon Naturals. It's possible that you don't like yogurt, but I think they are great for digestive health and there are healthy vegetarian choices to be had.

Now that I've looked into what gelatin is... yuck! I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm going to be looking into other choices now for sure.

14. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

On a scale of 1 - 10 I give this thread a 9 for capacity to self immolate. :redface:

15. Wreybies

Gelatin is very hard to avoid, aye? When I got freaked out by BSE I tried to avoid it like the plague. It's everywhere. :eek:

16. Carmina

I think awareness of what is in our food might go a long way to getting us to eat healthier.

17. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I don't think size is that important in general. What matters is being healthy. On the other hand, the behaviours and foods that cause people to be overweight have a tendency to be very bad for your health.

18. Wreybies

I think this is very true. Case in point: Here in Puerto Rico, many of the older generation sticks to a diet that would make a western dietitian panic. But these same people don't eat canned foods or things that are processed and they happily live well into their 90s with little to no trouble form heart disease or diebetes.

Is it the carbs and fat, or the stuff that I can't pronounce on the label?

19. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I've been told I need to lose weight by my mother since I was about eight. Last year, they said they'd give me $200 or an electronic of my choice if I lost 30 lbs. Personally, I'm happy with myself. I feel no need to spend extraneous hours on the treadmill where 1) I can't focus, and 2) it's hot and there's no air conditioning. I don't care about obsessing over my calories or any of that ****.

But. That won't satisfy them.

20. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

My grandmother is 85, and doesn't eat any fruit, very little veg, and eats a lot of sugary and fatty foods. And she doesn't show any signs of kicking it.

21. Carmina

I have type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family. I know that I am genetically predisposed so I avoid excess sugar (especially sodas). Some people can eat crap and still be healthy. Others develop problems. It depends largely on your genes.

22. rory

rory Active Member

I'd like to share a quote (I think it's from a milk ad):

It's better to have a body in shape than obsess about the shape of your body

I basically live by that. I'm 5'3" and my weight fluctuates from 140lbs to 150lbs, but I'm okay with that, because I feel strong, like I could run a mile if I had to.
    I think it's important to remember, as others have alluded to, that one person's 'in shape' in different than someone else. Heck, my sister is an inch taller than me, but weighs 30lbs less.

As far as diets go, I could never! I don't have that kind of will power. But I do sort-of-not-really follow that Paul McKenna 'I Can Make You Thin' stuff. I watched it on TLC last year. It's kinda weird but I watch more carefully how much I eat, and I munch a lot less.

23. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Honestly, I'm very happy with by size and shape, though losing few kilos wouldn't be bad. I don't go on diets, so I guess exercises are the only way to lose some weight. I'm usually too lazy to do any kind of exercise but professor of PE (is that the way you call the class where you play all kinds of sports?) told us that we have to do quite of sit-ups and crouches and all other kind of exercises if we want an A. So I guess there'll be lots of exercise for me during winter holiday :D

Hopefully, I might lose some kilos. If not, I'm quite happy the way I am.

24. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I'm usually happy with my shape, But my problem is opposite of the usual. I'm 4'11" and I have to struggle to keep my weight over 90 lbs. Which comes with its own set of problems -- finding clothes that fit, people looking at me and automatically thinking I have an eating disorder, and at the risk of being politically incorrect, many more robust women get seriously hateful because of the size.

The average weight rising has lots of stores stopping stocking the smaller sizes. I have to go online to a place that sells g-strings to strippers to buy underwear, unless I want to get something with the disney princesses on them.

Anyway, the grass is not always greener.

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Healthy is beautiful. Too far in either direction is unhealthy.

If someone respects himself or herself enough to stay reasonably healthy, and to be happy with who they are, that is beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.