1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Active Member

Is freelance work any good?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Jan 24, 2016.

Let's say you come across a Craigslist ad or some other site and find writing jobs that pay a consecutive amount every so often. Is it any good if you want to be a widely known author someday?

Would it amount to any success in finding other publishers or agents?

Thank you for answers!

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

It likely won't help you directly - depending on the sort of work you're doing, you may not even be allowed to claim any of it as your own. But it could certainly help by giving you a source of income while you polish your writing skills.

It depends on what sort of writing you'd be doing, and how much they're paying, whether it's worth it to you.

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

It could also help in that you'll have some experience to cite in your cover letters.

I have a screenwriter friend who writes for Listverse and (another site I can't think of atm). A well-known producer once asked him to pitch ideas. None of the ideas interested him, but just so you know, it does help in that way, too.

4. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

A lot of gigs on craigslist are scams.

Also, don't fall for anyone's promises under the false pretension that they'll reward you in the long-term. Like someone saying they want to produce your amazing idea, yet ask for your help first. It's a barter you'll regret soon after accepting, I speak from first hand experience.

In regards to it helping you increase chances of success, it depends on what niche you're going for. You can always use a pseudony , unless you really don't care about the exposure and/or it goes hand in hand with the material you're looking to be known for.

I'd be careful about putting original content you plan to have published on the web. You can run into difficulties if you try to remove it from some site, like this one for example. It's why I take so long to submit short stories on here myself. But, I rather be safe than sorry, so I'd set aside the temptation to share my most prized material all over the web.

Just to let you know, I've had my share of writing jobs, both paid and unpaid. Metal album reviews, Horror movie reviews, SEO Copywriting, History articles, Technical writing, Screenwriting, etc. I used a different name for most of them. Sometimes I regret not using my birth name for it all, but I prefer not to be labeled and come and go without feeling permanently tied to something if that makes sense. I tend to gravitate towards using different usernames for things if applicable.

If you're unlike me and don't worry debating over silly things like this, then do as you wish. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do, but it CAN limit the publishers that may find interest in your work. It really just depends on what you're comfortable with.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

My son is a programmer, writing a program for blog posts. In it, writers write a generic post, then a company can purchase the post and put it on their blog/website as their own work. The writer never knows who is purchasing the work or where it will be displayed and the company will never know who the writer is. If you are never able to claim the work as your own, I don't see how that can be a benefit to you as a writer.

6. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Well, maybe your son is improving his programming skills while he's doing it? If what he's doing is repetitive and non-challenging (as I think most freelance work is) he probably isn't, so it's probably not much good for him. But if someone came across something challenging and interesting, it might make them a better writer, even if it doesn't give them a bigger name.

7. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

My son is not a writer--He's a programmer. He's writing the program for the god-awful concept I mentioned. His job is to write a program that will allow companies choose a frequency for blog post and set parameters for those posts.

Example--A company like Cabela's wants three post a week on topics like, hunting, fishing, firearms, etc. They will scroll through samples from a list of writers and say I like writers: 37, 43, 68, and 129. Then when those writers submit something on hunting, fishing, or firearms, it goes into the Cabela's que and the post will automatically appear at the specified intervals. The work will be represented as belonging to the company that purchased it. The ultimate goal is that the actual author would never be known.

It looks like the pay for the writers will suck too, but when has pay ever been good for writers.