Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Is Garland looking better to the GOP

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Oct 12, 2016.

They're a bit stupid not to confirm him, as he's about as moderate as they can hope for. The idea that they are required to hold a vote on Merrick is wrong, for the same reasons it was wrong when the Bush admin argued the Senate was required to act on nominees, but not acting seems more and more like a bad choice. Not only politically bad in terms of optics, but substantively bad in terms of what the next nominee is likely to look like politically.

I'm just as happy at this point if they do nothing and have to deal with a more progressive nominee later, but from the GOP point of view holding up this confirmation is starting to look more and more like a bad idea.

2. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

I think once they lose both the presidency and the Senate next month, they'll move at light speed to confirm Garland during the lame duck. Otherwise they'll probably get a more liberal nominee and have even less ability to forestall it.

You're right, this is about as much as they can hope for. All the sturm und drang about this will have been for naught, but then again, what hasn't been for naught in this Congress...

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Based on the latest RCP polling numbers, I don't think it is certain they'll lose the Senate, but I think there's a good chance of it given that they have so many more toss up elections at stake. I think Obama could withdraw Garland and let Clinton appoint if she wins, but I've heard no indication that he would do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.