1. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

Novel A question according; how i write my novel.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Bob Stuart, Dec 8, 2011.

I am currently writing a novel. A post-apocalyptic fiction, if you interested in knowing. It doesn't really have anything to do with the question. I am actually wondering about something. In the novel I have choosen to each chapter start with a "journal entry" from the MC.

The story is written in third-person (narrative form). And the journal entries are written in I-form (first person). Is that okay or just very confusing for the reader because and "is it okay?". I have never written a novel before and I am very fresh.

I can post a few sentences from the first chapter if you like, if you don't understand what I mean. :)

2. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Hi MassThinker!

I don't see any real problem with that idea, I kind of like it, just as long as you make a clear connection between the diary entries and your MC. The best way to see if it works is to just write. If you do get a little concerned or want our opinion then posting an excerpt in the novel thread would be the way to go.

I hope that helps. Good luck! :)

3. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

Thanks for the answer. It's kinda clear since he always leaves a / his name after each entry.
    I have been a member here for a couple of days now. I am not yet allowed to post any works. *sadface*

4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

The journal entries have to be in first person. Otherwise they make no sense.

But as far as using both, there is absolutely not problem with it at all. You are making the correct decision to use both in this case.

5. Jhunter

You can fix that by going in and reviewing a few things other people have done. It will only take a couple of hours at the most.

6. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

No worries. Yeah I figured his name would be signed at the bottom. I also figured you couldn't post, but when you can it would be interesting to read some :)

7. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

Thanks Jhunter!
    I will do that.

8. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

I will sure do that when I can. I really want to get some positive and negative criticism on my writing.

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

isn't there a rule that you must have made 20 posts and been a member for at least 2 weeks? or did I misunderstand that?

10. Jhunter

I think that got changed. While I cant remember exactly, I read Banzai listing off the requirements in another post a couple weeks back. I believe there was no mention of waiting two weeks. Just twenty posts (which you will get from reviewing) and reviewing a few things first.

But I could be remembering things wrong.

11. Pellshek

Pellshek New Member

I actually think it's a really nifty idea. It will help bring the MC to life in brief little flashes before he "disappears" into the 3rd person again.

Should work really well, as long as you make sure those entries are NOT about facts, stuff that happened or plot exposition. They need to be searing little pictures that get at the personality/state of mind of the MC. It's a waste to use them to move plot along, unless of course there's a compelling fact that's best delivered by him directly for some reason.

12. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

Wonderful. That is exactly what I am doing. The first entry gives a big picture though.

Feelings and occurings. Fatilities, bi-effects. Result on the humanoid race in a long term perspective and so on. How the landscape looks. That's alot of the things it, also how he began his journey.

13. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

I see no problem with it at all.

One thing you may want to consider doing is using italics for the journal entries. I know some people here will shun the idea of it, but I see it done very often in regards to journals, diaries, etc within works of fiction and I think it is perfectly acceptable. It's a good way to differentiate it from the rest of the story in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jhunter

I agree.

15. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

Thanks for the tip. It sounds good. I am still waiting to be able to publish something, but site won't let me.

16. mootz

mootz Member

I'd warn about the length of the journal entries more than anything else. The journal entries, with their self indulgent nature, could interrupt the flow of the story. Of course, it could easily help dictate the flow as well. Good luck.

17. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

I try to keep them very short they should just take a minute to read, just the first chapter is actually a journal entry so the second chapter is missing a entry, than it's right to the story.