1. PurpleLotusRebirthMatrix

PurpleLotusRebirthMatrix Member

Pink Floyd Albums

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by PurpleLotusRebirthMatrix, Mar 3, 2017.

Straight up, Piper, More, Ummagumma(side 2), Atom Heart Mother, Lapse of Reason, Division Bell and Endless River sucked. Like, Maybe an album worth of good songs; Cymbaline, Nile song, Fat Old Sun, Grantchester Meadows, High Hopes, Interstellar Overdrive. . .

Side 1 of Ummagumma is a redeemable concert recording. Obscured by clouds has a couple solid songs, but kind of repeats one half way through(weird.) Saucer of secrets also has a couple good songs.
    Set the Controls for The Heart of The Sun, The Gold It's in The. . . , Stay, Childhoods End, Free Four, Careful with that ax Eugene and Let There Be More Light are songs worth while.

Meddle, Darkside of the moon, Wish you were here, Animals and The Wall. These albums are really whats worth listening to. pretty much every track on these is fucking gold. I am of the opinion that The Wall is the weakest of the 5.

Aled James Taylor likes this.
  2. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Rhythm of War - Brando Sando & Rebel's Creed - Daniel B Greene
    I found their early work difficult to enjoy. I'm probably a heathen for saying this, but my favourite would be The Final Cut.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Animals and Wish You Were Here are my favorites.

4. PurpleLotusRebirthMatrix

PurpleLotusRebirthMatrix Member

how?

5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I based my last writing contest entry on The Wall. I listen to it all the time. Saw Waters perform it live here in NYC.

I disagree about Endless River. Some songs were not great, but some of them were fantastic and a fitting end. Talkin' Hawkin' was the best on the album IMO.

I simply find that early and late Floyd are different, and it makes sense, they had different band leader and I think which you like best will be determined by that. If you like 60s pyche rock, then the early albums lead by Syd are the best. If you like the epic rock concepts, then the Waters-lead era is the best. Personally, I'm more into the music and the lyrics, especially the slow whining guitar, so I'm partial to the later Gilmour-lead era.

I actually loved The Division bell: Cluster One, Marooned, and High Hopes were all beautiful. If I have a terrible day at work, nothing makes me feel better than grabbing a glass slide, cranking my amp up, and playing along with the final solo. Same with Marooned, which I think is my favorite Pf song.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Personally I disregard everything Floyd did after Roger Waters left. I love David Gilmour, he's a great guitarist and a great singer, but he's no lyricist or songwriter. Roger Waters is probably one of the five best composers in the history of rock and roll. Once they lost him it was all derivative.

7. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I hate to state the obvious, but Dark Side of the Moon is one of the most perfect albums ever released. Wish You Were Here and The Wall are also great.

8. Steerpike

I always wonder why his solo stuff is sub-par, compared to the composition he did with Pink Floyd. I'm not a huge fan of Floyd after Roger Waters left, either, but I think I'll take it over Waters' solo efforts (though Amused to Death has some promising moments).

9. Steerpike

Those are all good, but I'll still take Animals and Wish You Were Here over Dark Side and the Wall :D

10. Homer Potvin

I know, right? His voice went kaput, which isn't unusual for aging vocalists, but there was definitely something missing. Probably it was the lack of his Floyd mates, who were all outstanding musicians and composers in their own right. The same could be said for Axl Rose, who was another apex composer that couldn't keep it going after he lost his band. Actually, Guns never wrote anything after they lost Izzy Stradlin (Slash is clueless when it comes to composition) but that's a topic for another thread.

Steerpike likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Yes, a good example. Also, Fish-era Marillion is far and away better than anything either Fish or Marillion did after. Fish is kind of a Waters type, in that he wrote some great lyrics and also did composition, but I think the added musical contributions of the rest of Marillion were essential. I think Waters and Gilmour together could have gone on just as well without the rest of the band (if they had gotten along), but either of them without the other is lacking something. Gilmour has put together some nice music without Waters, but the lyrics have suffered greatly and even the music that is pretty good isn't at the same level of Floyd at their height.

12. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Steerpike likes this.
  13. Steerpike

14. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I believe it's from the 2012 Olympics with the background noise removed.

15. Homer Potvin

I'm not a fan of the 12 string guitar there. Too full. What made the original great was the tinny AM radio sound that made the leads sound like a guy playing along to a radio while sitting in a bathtub (which I've done by the way and it sounds fucking great on tape! I think it's a Jimmy Page trick but not sure on that).

16. Steerpike

Never heard of that. I did hear that Zeppelin used to put John Bonham in an entirely separate room from the rest of the band to record his drumming.

17. Homer Potvin

Yeah, they put him in the basement at the bottom of the stairs I think. They had that creepy ass mansion that used to belong to Alastair Crowley or something. That must have been a good time!

18. Steerpike

I think Page owned a former Crowley mansion. Maybe that's where they made the recording. There are bits of The Song Remains the Same filmed at each of the band member's home, but I don't know if the Page portion is at that particular estate. One of my favorite parts of that movie is the version of No Quarter, which was filmed at John Paul Jones' home I believe.

19. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I just listened to an Endless River again and revised my own thoughts on it. It probably simply should not have been released under the name Pink Floyd, but it's one of Gilmours greatest guitar masterpieces and a fitting tribute to Wright. In the past few hours I've probably listened to the guitar/piano dance of talkin hawkin ten times. It probably should have been released as David Gilmours Endless River.