1. That Secret Ninja

That Secret Ninja New Member

Is it a Good Sign when the Plot lines just come Easily and Naturaly?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by That Secret Ninja, Apr 16, 2010.

I just sat down, for the first time, to think up a good idea for a short story, and the plot came to me quite fast. Simply one idea, for a setting and a situation made me think up the entire story as I penned the two main characters descriptions and their narratives.

From their stories I came up with surrounding characters and their influences on the body of each characters narrative. And work out how the two main characters resemble each other.

I just started, and haven't even sat down to start the actual story writing process yet, just outlining characters and plot summaries.

I take this as a good sign in the start of my young writing career? yes?

2. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

There is no "right" or one-and-only way of coming up with plots. Some people take years to outline and get everything in order, others take days, and some just dive right in and make it up as they go. The end product is all that matters. That being said, you'll probably find that as you write, the plot you initially had envisioned will need some tuning. You may even end up with a first draft that needs major work. There's nothing wrong with that either. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: It's going to be work no matter how quickly you came up with the ideas.

Is it a "good sign" that you came up with your plot quickly? I don't know. It's at least better than being completely stuck! :p

Best of luck to you.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

It's certainly not a bad thing, but on the other hand, I wouldn't read too much into it. Most writers have some aspect of writing that comes naturally/effortlessly to them, but that doesn't necessarily translate into good writing.

You said yourself that you haven't even begun the writing process yet, and when you do its probable that you'll either notice holes in the story or, more likely, change your mind about the best way to do something.

But certainly, maintain the enthusiasm...good luck!

4. Mila

Mila New Member

hah - is it a good sign ? Well on the surface, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find this easy plot is full of holes as you sit down to actually write it ( and when are you going to actually do that ?? )
    I envy people who can plot well because it's not, as yet, my strength. Practice has helped though, as with anything.
    I've said it before - never mind your convoluted plots - by all means write them down, but keep 'em to one side for now and just practice your writing. If your plots are that good I'd keep them until your writing deserves them. ;)

5. That Secret Ninja

That Secret Ninja New Member

When am I going to actually write down the narrative of this story? Soon. I just want to pen the outlines first, the character details, motives, etc, then attempt to weave those characters into the plot outline. this plot is nowhere near as convoluted and grand as what I've hinted at writing about in that other thread. this is a straight-up short story with a unique perspective paradigm, that I'm hoping will make the story more effective.

6. Gingerbiscuit

Gingerbiscuit New Member

I ten to find that if I have a great idea for a plot (assuming that is that any of my ideas are that great) then I have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for it and it comes naturally. Likewise if I have a great idea for a character then that character's development comes very easily. The danger for me is that I have a great idea I rush pell mell into it without really looking into it's feasability.
    My jelly socks for instance were not the resounding success I had anticipated.

7. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

I second that.

Mila, if there are plot holes, can we get a crew out to patch them? :rolleyes: