1. Mr.Ray

Mr.Ray New Member

Is it a risk to include differnet vampires?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mr.Ray, Jul 3, 2011.

Hello, I am new here and I am writing a book that includes vampires, the problem though I am having is if it's a good idea to change what people are used to about vampires. I am trying to aim for the old pre-Dracula folklore vampires that the Romans thought to be really real.

What I was thinking was on the lines of the demon possessed corpse vampires. I wanted to include these kind of vampires because I think there is more room for scares for people that are used to the "normal" vampires. What is your guys opinion on this?

Thanks for your time to read my post. :D

2. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Two things
    #1 look up chinise vampires nough said ;)
    #2 its not a problem though so teens will say "You so ripped off twlight"
    (which they also say to Dracula):mad:

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Maybe you should de-emphasise the vampire aspect when trying to sell the book, so people won't get disappointed. Apart from that, I think it's nice to see someone getting away from the usual vampire clichés.

4. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

You won't be the first one to write about the original vampires. Even Anne Rice did it (though she described them as vampires gone wrong). There's also "I am Legend", though I personally didn't think the book was all that great. There are several other ones that I have read but can't think of right now. Anyone who wants vampires and horror prefer those vamps over *shudder* Twilight vampires. But if you feel they differ too much, just create your own creature or never actually say what they are. The unknown is what's truly scary after all.

5. flipflop

flipflop New Member

try writing your story without using the term "vampire" let the public decide if its a vampire or not

6. Mr.Ray

Mr.Ray New Member

I think that's what my plan is going to be, this is going to be one dark novel. I am really excited about making this novel. :)

7. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... Why? Seriously, why would you de-emphasise the vampire aspect?
    The very definition of vampire is something that lives on the life force of another. There's nothing wrong with that, and there's no reason to play it down.

Personally, I think it's excellent that you want to write about folkloric vampires. Go for it. The only advice I'll give you is that if it resembles a vampire, call it that. Don't call it something different.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

1. Don't ask for validation - if you want to write it, do so.

2. Thank you for writing about old-school grotesque vampires instead of emo sparkly ones.

3. As has been stated, don't call it a "vampire." That word has lost its scary connotation due to the monstrosity that was Twilight. Leave the name ambigious, and let readers fill in the name that's scariest for them.

9. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I really have to disagree with this sentiment again. If I've understood your post, OP, and I believe I have, the things that you're going to be writing about were called vampires first. They have every right to continue being called vampires.

At any rate, the name is not what will make them scary. Their behaviourisms and your writing will make them scary. One of the benefits of horror is the power of fear in description.

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Sadly vampires have been exploited far too much over the last decades, so personally I don't think they are scary anymore. It's not impossible to make scary vampires, but it would be very difficult. A demon-possessed corpse sounds cool, but you would have a problem telling people it's "just" vampires and still make them scary.

11. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Agree. I've read lesser known vampire novels that has made me shiver with fear, and I am not scared easily. (I have fallen asleep watching Japanese horror movies dammit!) "Let the right one in" is one of those. Not that scary to be honest, but the creep factor is high. And if you're gonna watch the movie instead, watch the original Swedish one, not the American remake. Please.

It's a shame the true monster vampires are less known than the romantic kind these days. I always say there are three kinds of vampires: monster (traditional folklore), gentleman (Dracula) and romantic (Anne Rice, Twilight), and vampires who are mixtures of two or all of them. The monster and gentleman vampire can really send chills down your spine, and then there's the romantic one... At least Anne Rice had good stories to go with the crappy vampires.

To be honest though, I think Twilight could have been interesting if the vamipres really were fairies. I've heard some tales where fairies killed people and drank blood.

12. Jewbacabra

Jewbacabra New Member

There's a manga called "chibi-vampire" where the main character is a vampire who gets too much blood in her system and has to release it into her victims. Otherwise she gets a massive nosebleed.

Yea sounds ridiculous but I think it's an interesting take.

So no, it's not a risk. Do it.

13. HBAdams

HBAdams New Member

I wouldn't shy away from the word "vampire". Bring the scary aspect back to the word with your novel!

1 person likes this.
  14. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

I know how you must feel about using the 'vampire' word now that they are so commonly portrayed in what I can't help but feel is such a negative light.

However, I wouldn't let that stop you. The whole idea of vampires is a genuinely creepy/scary concept, so it has to work as a horror book if it is written well.

Good luck I'd say, and don't shy away from saying 'vampire'!

15. Lennon

Lennon New Member

I have recently wrote a novel entitled Beneath The Floodlights and the Vampires in my story are different to what people are generally and traditionally used to. Personally I believe that because there are so many different Vampire novels and creations out there then it is important to find an air of originality, so if you find a new way to present a vampire my advice is go for it and good luck with your own personal interpretation!

16. NSR

NSR New Member

I don't know. Vampires used to give me nightmares when I was younger! The problem is the friendly vampires that seem to have leaked into the mainstream, which isn't a bad thing, just a new interesting view Total Twilight Fan and proud! I say "new", but of course there is Angel from Buffy too, which isn't so new!

Definitely go with vampires, and looking at the old folklore is definitely a good idea, it'll give your story something unique!

17. Mediocrity

Mediocrity New Member

I believe you can still call your creatures 'vampires' and get away with it. Your vampires sound terrifying.. Maybe it will install some sense into people that not all vampires sparkle ;)

18. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

Use the Two-Tailed Vampire Cat of Nabashima. I hope I remembered that name correctly...

Seriously though, Twilight is horrible. Any other vampires are good! Therefore, your idea is good.

19. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

If you wanted to do different versions of vampires, I wouldn't go for so much 'chinese vampire' 'austrian vampire' I would maybe have one a horrible monster, then the usual beautiful charming beast, then maybe even a lesser version. good luck!

20. Rustgold

Rustgold New Member

Qld : Somewhere near Kangaroos & Possums &
    The word vampire is an automatic romance. I personally wouldn't even touch a book if it has the word vampire attached to it.