Is it about me?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by BookLover, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

One of two possibles I thought of...

2. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

He's a guy at my office who gives people a lot of friendly-but-highly-politically-incorrect teasing - I had planned for someone like that to egg on Aiden, so it was an easy character to sub in.

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

It was either him or Sinead!

4. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Oh wow - I would never base someone like Sinead off a real person...she comes across as a total witch with a capital B...if you get my drift.

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

Aye, but if she was based on a male person you know, nobody would guess!

6. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

A very famous novelist wrote a novel which was clearly based upon the village where both she and my parents live. It basically involved her having an affair with the real doctor (names changed but recognizable), who was somewhat of a lothario. Suffice to say he suffered some marital difficulties soon afterwards.

I should add that I have never read the novel as the author really is not my thing. I don't really want to name her either without sticking "allegedly" all over this post or other such caveats.

7. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I think this is an interesting topic. The outsider or non writers reaction. I think when someone sees me get out my note pad and start writing, they get paranoid and think I'm making notes on them. I'm not, just inspiration hits me at random. Then there is the fact I'm writing a story about a serial killer, and people look at me like I'm endorsing murder, or think I will automatically like gored horror films and bad taste stuff. This is not who I am!

8. ISlaybeasties

ISlaybeasties New Member

I haven't been asked that yet. I was, however, directed by a friend to ensure I included them in the 'acknowledgements' section. They haven't asked me how things are going since that conversation.

"Dear X, Thanks for fuck all"

9. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Unless you have a copy of the story on you.... they probably won't be interested. Also a lot of people nowadays don't read a lot. :(

10. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I assure you that people today read at least as much as they always have. Yes, there are those who aren't interested, but those people wouldn't have been interested a hundred years ago, either.

11. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

I've never had that question asked of me, its a shame some people are so self absorbed that they would ask that, might i suggest, like one of the other commenter's on here that you maybe keep it quiet for a while? it might get people's attention diverted for a while...

12. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

For some reason, this reminded me of the lyrics to the Beatles song, Paperback Writer!

13. cutecat22

My hubs has learned not to bug me about finishing too. In all honesty, he didn't ask that much with book one as it only took me seven months to write but I've been at book two for over a year now.
    I never asked him to read the first book after I'd published as, although he is a big reader, the genre I write in is of no interest to him. After it had been out just over a year, he picked it up and started reading on the understanding that I didn't ask what he thought until he'd got to the end.

When he'd read it, he looked at me and said "Wow, you have such a great imagination! Please get on with the next one!"

That was enough for me.

tonguetied, minstrel and Mckk like this.
  14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Never heard of it lol

cutecat22 likes this.
  15. cutecat22

Mckk likes this.
  16. cutecat22

Going back to the OP, I tend not to talk about it unless someone asks me about my writing, then I don't shut up. I've had one person ask if they can be in the book, she laughed her head off when I told her she could be the blonde bar-owner with four ex-husbands but a good nose-job.

My eldest daughter (step-daughter, 35 tomorrow) won't read the fiction because she can't stop imagining me and her dad "at it" but she still bought it.

And my middle daughter (16) wants a job doing hair and make-up when I make the film version o_O (she loves to dream).

I've never had people ask me if my books are about them but I have had people ask me if I've based any of my characters on anyone I know, which I suppose, is the same thing, really. I always tell them that all my characters are from my imagination but, you know ...
    :D

17. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

I have never thought there was much point telling anyone I am writing unless I have had something published. Probably about half the people in the world with a liberal arts subject degree have an unfinished novel to go along with it.