1. Beacon

Beacon New Member

Need Some Tips, Please!

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Beacon, Sep 20, 2012.

Currently going through a rough time in my life and I would like to start writing, since I find it is a good release, for it allows me to vent my feelings in an indirect way. Normally after writing something, even an essay prompt, my mood shifts drastically. I wish to prolong this feeling, but I am not sure what a good way would be to do this. The thought of a blog has crossed my mind, likewise with some poetry, but I think I would rather blog, since it's a concentration of thought and opinion, which will allow me to better vent my feelings, or so that is the way I feel.

If you guys have any tips on poetry or blogging, I would really appreciate the help.

2. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily start a blog, for it depends on your skill level. If you can write consistently, able to produce pieces with zero mistakes after some editing, then by all means, BLOG. But, if you want an outlet where you can vent and escape what's going on with your life, to improve your mood, and your skill is average or sub-par, then a BLOG might not be the best route, unless you are perfeclty okay with publishing things filled with mistakes. Personally, when I hand a piece to someone I feel is done, and then discover there were tons of mistakes I missed, I feel violated, as if I had walked to the front of class to give a speech without realizing I was naked. In short: worse than I did before I showed them the piece.

Anyway, to answer your question, journal entries and short stories are what I've been writing lately, and probably will do so until my skill is good enough to handle a novel. Poetry is fine, too. It's whatever you want to do really. I can't give you advice on what you want to do, for only you know what you want. That's like telling someone, who likes oranges and apples, that apples are better than oranges. I don't know what you like more, so I can't make that kind of assumption, let alone tell you how you feel.

I will say this though, and once again, it depends on where you are at with your skill: Determine if you want to write fiction, or non-fiction, and pick a medium you have fun with, whether it be the essay, poetry, short stories, what-have-you, and focus on it. My mentor has said many times, it's better to be a Jack of one trade, than the 'Jack-of-all-nothings.'

Branch out once you develop a decent measure of skill in one, at least, that's how I am treating my writing.

But journal entries do allow me the ability to say anything I want, and release frustrations, or to get creative, maybe describing the place I am writing the entry, or to re-live the day, anything, and it's free from prying eyes, so it can be intimate, and me. If you're looking for something satisfying, something that can help you relax, that might be the best path to walk, in my opinion.

3. Jamie Regent-Villiers

Jamie Regent-Villiers New Member

Tips on writing whatever or blogging? Write write write! Just sit in front of your PC or at your desk with a sheet of paper in front of you and write. Doesn't really matter if its gibberish or what you may think is a load of crap ... but you gotta write. If you are a writer ... write.

4. serowden

serowden New Member

The type of blog you seem to want is one I've had in semi-privacy on LiveJournal for years. Be prepared to be good at emotionally-charged and personally-revealing anecdotes and manifestos.

Otherwise, a blog like that is just a journal no one else cares to read. So unless you plan on doing that, you shouldn't make a blog unless you have a purpose for your blogging -- for example, I used to review albums and go to live shows and write about bands. People who read my blog were interested in the topic -- but hard times in life aren't necessarily going to drive you to write about your hobbies and interests with regularity.

5. paisley

paisley New Member

If you're going through a situation that others might also be struggling with, by all means, blog! I started a blog a few years ago about a challenge I faced within my community. I didn't think anyone would actually read it - I figured it would be more of a cathartic exercise for me than anything. I was wrong. In less than a year, I received tens of thousands of hits and made a lot of friends who were going through similar situations. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Go for it! Good luck with everything.

Paisley

6. SRCroft

SRCroft New Member

Answering your question, you chose a great outlet for depression or conflict in life. Sometimes when I wanna flip out a write a letter and it makes me feel better and I just tear it up. It similar to the ancient tradition of writing your sin on paper and burning it. Blogs are a great diary style form. Poetry is a great outlet for emotion, or capturing a moment. If you want a continuing feeling maybe consider a work of prose.