1. glennmid101

glennmid101 New Member

Idea for a thriller

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by glennmid101, Sep 26, 2009.

The idea is for a book which revolves around a poker website which is set up to scam players.

The scam involves the owners of the site, being able to play on a table and seeing everyone else's cards during a game.

I am think more along the lines of a murder that leads to the discovery of the scam.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Dumb, don't do it. LOL, kidding. But what if that was my answer? Would it make a difference as to whether or not you write it?

I think it makes more sense that the poker scam leads to the discovery of a dead body, and then more dead bodies.

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I suggest you read the fairly trashy but quick read Bringing Down The House by Ben Mezrich to comntextualise this idea. Whilst their scam focuses on statistics, and yours perhaps not, I think it may help you formulate how to get your idea to paper, and more importantly, consider how it might end. Kind regards.