Is it just me or does this drive you nuts?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by aguywhotypes, Sep 16, 2014.

1. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Yeh. That REALLY pissed me off when, out of nowhere, it's gone never to be seen again. Boooooh! Hisss.

Apologies but, this is something that drives me nuts in reading or conversation. In 99 out of 100 cases, when someone references a 'clip' what they are really talking about is a magazine. It especially makes me want to throw something when I see a weapon and I know it has a mag and not a clip and they refer to it as a clip. Stupid writing, stupid directing, stupid continuity editor... Just plain stupid.

And, as far as tagging 3 for the 'price' of two? One in the chamber! That's always the excuse. A fifteen and one in the chamber. What tickles my funny bone is the "infinity mag". They manage to fire off thirty rounds or so and never have to reload![/QUOTE]

And, just a little straying from your topic: Yeh. What's with the SWAT team that has no more dexterity or accuracy than to simply go for the broad target kill shot? One of the most amazing shots I've ever seen was a real life scenario. Many years ago, a guy with a gun - a pistol - sitting in a chair on a sidewalk, threatening to kill someone else or himself. The cops tried to talk the guy down. They tried to convince him to give up the gun. He wasn't buying anything they were selling.

At one point, he's got his hands, still holding the gun, hanging between his knees and, out of nowhere, his hand jumps, he shakes his fingers, the gun is on the ground. In seconds he is surrounded by cops and taken into custody.

The SWAT Team sharpshooter, from an elevated point, was so far away, you didn't even hear the report of the gunfire. But he zeroed in on that weapon in this guy's hand and he hit the gun! Not the hand, the gun. The worst the kid got out of it, other than a stint in a mental hospital, was a few stinging fingers, no blood even! What? That's not dramatic enough for television???

Stop 'em but don't drop 'em.
    Now THAT's the way a SWAT shot should be!

aguywhotypes and cutecat22 like this.
  2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

And, just a little straying from your topic: Yeh. What's with the SWAT team that has no more dexterity or accuracy than to simply go for the broad target kill shot? One of the most amazing shots I've ever seen was a real life scenario. Many years ago, a guy with a gun - a pistol - sitting in a chair on a sidewalk, threatening to kill someone else or himself. The cops tried to talk the guy down. They tried to convince him to give up the gun. He wasn't buying anything they were selling.

At one point, he's got his hands, still holding the gun, hanging between his knees and, out of nowhere, his hand jumps, he shakes his fingers, the gun is on the ground. In seconds he is surrounded by cops and taken into custody.

The SWAT Team sharpshooter, from an elevated point, was so far away, you didn't even hear the report of the gunfire. But he zeroed in on that weapon in this guy's hand and he hit the gun! Not the hand, the gun. The worst the kid got out of it, other than a stint in a mental hospital, was a few stinging fingers, no blood even! What? That's not dramatic enough for television???

Stop 'em but don't drop 'em.
    Now THAT's the way a SWAT shot should be![/QUOTE]

HELL YEAH!!! And my apologies for misusing the term clip. I am but a mere slip of a woman who has not yet had the pleasure of researching firearms 'in the flesh' so to speak. Something I hope to be rectifying within the next six months. :-D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  3. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Check your local firing range, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the owner/operator to give you a crash course. Also, many gun stores have a firing range as well. But, it's a good idea, if you are going to beg a lesson off of them, make sure you get the whole lesson and learn how to break down the weapon, clean it, and reassemble. It's not only a very visceral experience to do it for the first time but, just seeing the inner workings of the gun, broken down to be cleaned gives you a whole lot more understanding of and respect for the weapon and its power.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    cutecat22 likes this.
  4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Well, the Christians of America - at least from what I read online anyway, I've not been to the US myself - they sound frigging scary. The US sometimes feels so conservative as to be utterly backwards.

Anyway, I'm a Christian and I'd never suppress conversations like that. For goodness' sake, not talking about it resolves nothing!

thewordsmith and jazzabel like this.