1. Malo Beto

Malo Beto New Member

Advice for a New Writer

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Malo Beto, May 6, 2011.

Im pretty new to writing. Ive written several short stories just for me and my friends but thats it. Now I'm looking to write something a bit more serious. I generally like to write fantasy and Im just looking for advice of any type people would be willing to give me... Thanks.

2. katica

katica New Member

The first and most important thing I've learned about writing is that you don't get anything done with writing and you're not actually serious about it unless you sit down and do it on a very consistent basis. I aim for once a day, but a few times a week is plenty good.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Read (in your genre and outside of it).
    Write consistently.
    Read.

4. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Listen to your heart and your muse. If it is a story that must be told then do it no matter what any one says.

I know corny but always do what your heart says. Never let success or failure dictate your writing.

Also, read read and read some more. By using forums such as this one, the internet and reading other books to see how they did it; will give you the tools you need to tell your story. Good Luck and may your muse never fail you.

5. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

Do not come to a blank page lightly. Like katica said, if you are serious about writing then consistent practice is ideal. When I say "don't come to a blank page lightly" I don't mean that you shouldn't write if you don't have anything to write about, I just mean that no matter what you are writing, even if you are just doodling, you should keep in mind that you are a writer and the blank page is your domain.

I know that that first part wasn't really advice, it was more of a philosophy.
    But, one piece of advice that I can offer is: just make a mess.
    One thing that I like to do when I have an idea for a story or even if I don't is free write about it and regurgitate everything that I can relating to my idea. Sometimes I don't even make sense when I do this, but it gives me an opportunity to see what my subconscious has to say about it. You can gain a lot of knowledge about your own abilities this way.

So, make a mess that you can clean up later; it's a good practice.

6. katica

katica New Member

Yep. Most of us make messes at first when we write. Editting is for cleaning those messes up and making them readable to others.

As long as you are writing though, even if it's not at first exactly how you wanted it to be, then you are doing good.

7. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Best advice I've ever heard: Don't be afraid to take yourself seriously.

Oh, read. I mean read. Don't just read like 'ooh, that was a fun story.' I mean read the best stuff you can find, then re-read it, then read it again, then read it again with a highlighter for 'good' and 'bad,' then re-re-read trying to figure out exactly why you highlighted those things. Then read and copy down sentences or words you think are just awesome. Then read over those copied down sentences when you need inspiration or get stuck or just feel like your writing sucks (great fiction shouldn't make you feel bad or discouraged, but give you hope and motivation). Also write, but don't stop reading. In fact, take those sentences you copy down from the great things you're reading and put them on the page with your own sentences and compare them, figure out what your sentences aren't doing that the sentences you deem great are. Then, keep reading and never stop.

8. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Yes I have read a couple books more than once. If it is a really good book and you are waiting for the sequel you just have to read it again. :)

I hear you. I kinda think that the blank page is a canvas that you paint the story on. I know cliche.

9. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Heh, yeah, I meant more like studying fiction. Come to think of it, I've never read a book twice for pleasure, only study. Double the pleasure is great for bubble gum, though. :p

10. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Should try it once. The best kind of book to do this with is a mystery who done it book. Knowing the ending allows you to appreciated all of the plot building the author did and see the book in a different way.

I don't recommend doing this with a 1000 pager even though I did read the Order of the Phoenix more than once and that was not light reading.

11. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Agree with you so much there!

12. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

I think the most important thing is to know what you really want. Asking general questions won't help you much. What is writing a story after all? You have it in your head and you just gotta lay it down on a paper or text editor. Then you just format it properly and that's it. Unless you are a commercial writer and do it for cash, then you follow trends.
    Of course, what will definitely help you a lot is a feedback. Never underestimate that.

13. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Read. Read as much as you can. For starters, I'd suggest reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott or Unless It Moves the Human Heart by Roger Rosenblatt.

14. nalysale

nalysale New Member

Consistently writing helpful to good writing.Writing need a good concentration.The first thing is your way to present your story.Concentrate on your title,keywords and theme would be helpful to good writing.

15. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

My advise,

1.Write for your enjoyment, fortune and glory could be just around the corner, but more often then not it will be the wrong corner.

If you write to get fame and fortune and do not achieve it, you have failed.
    If you write for your enjoyment, you never fail.

2.Don't let the work of writing ruin the fun of writing.