1. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Is it normal for the creator to CRY when they kill off a mian character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Eurlo, Apr 5, 2011.

Cause I'm torn up by the fact, and my sister thinks I'm crazy......*wipes tears* She's like, "It's just a book...." me: *cries harder*

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I don't know lol but that's good, because it means you were really connected with that character. Now all you have to do now is make the readers cry when the main character dies.

3. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Rowling apparantly cried when killing of Fred.

4. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

yes I was...

She was the reason why this book began.......

5. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

Congrats for finding the place at your core where art is generated, of course it is normal, my concern would be if you did not cry, if we are not going to move ourselves to emotion how could we realistically expect to move others.

6. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

My chest still seems to shake....... Even though I'm not crying anymore....

7. Louis Farizee

Louis Farizee New Member

If you can kill your MC without feeling like you've just lost a relative, you're either a sociopath or a terrible writer. Even if your MC is the bad guy.

8. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Reminds me of the movie "Stranger than Fiction" where the authoress goes ape**** while trying to write the deathscene. (More complex than that.)

If you get completely broken up while killing them, hopefully the reader will at least feel voyeuristically bad about the death.

At least you don't chicken out about killing your "babies"

9. KillianRussell

The post death panic you feel is what the people close to the now dead character would go thru, try to catalog your angst for future use....
    you dig ?

10. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Thanks everyone....It was hard I kept trying to put it off or just seriously injure her or make her deathly sick, But I know that as a wolf She is not afraid to die, nor is any wolf, but I was afraid she was going to died I TRIED to avoid it all together!

But, I pushed on .......

So R.I.P. Ounau.....I'll miss you.....

11. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I'm really going to be ripped apart when I have to kill off Eurlo (Main male character).....Cause we are closer then I am with Ounau.......

12. KillianRussell

I kill off a central character early on, i am trying to use his father (they look alike, they act alike ) as a dramatic device to add conflict for the MC his 22 yr old widow

13. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

I'm sure with the emotional investment you've put into her, her tale with be a great one.

14. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Re:

Not really, kinda cloudy mind at the moment..........

15. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I cry whenever I kill off a character even a side character, when I think it might happen I go into a panic, only one I didn't and i enjoyed every minute concerns me :) I hated the character (not as character she is a good character but she was nasty piece of work who hurt the character I am closest to) and knew she was dead as soon as I started writing my stories. When I wrote Little Chicks I actually wrote her death scene and it was wonderful to do.

16. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Should I roll in the sarrow, for my upcoming burial cerimony(in my book)? or recover and write it then? Like would it make a better burial scene with me emotional, or not?

17. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Emotional, capture the feeling of loss. Edit it afterwards if grief makes it incomprehensible.

18. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Well theres two males in this part(like a love triangle) but one was on his way to get an army to fight off the other male, well now he has stopped and is on his way back to her side, should I allow them to fight? like over the greif they both feel for her, or let them support each other during this time?

19. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

i would keep going get it over with don't procrastinate it won't be any easier later.

20. KillianRussell

kinda cloudy mind at the moment.

Is how one may react ! you dig ?

21. Manav

Manav New Member

I don't know if actually crying after killing a char is healthy *concern face*. A little bit sad is okay, but crying...??

On a related note, do writers need to be so emotionally feel for the chars to make the readers cry? As one poster above said "all you have to do now is make the readers cry when the main character dies", which brings up... a writer may cry when the char dies, and still might not make the readers cry. I personally feel that understanding the char inside-out, and yet somehow remaining detach makes the writing better. I think it is natural 'to fall in love' with your char, but beware that this love is not making the char a one dimensional image of all the good qualities you want in a person. This of course doesn't mean to say your char is one dimensional, I obviously mean generally, and which I think is something worthy of discussion.

Edit: Just show this....

Know what the other chars are feeling on this death and 'show' it... that will do the trick. As I said above you might want to be a bit detach to do that, otherwise it can become over sentimental and emotional.

22. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Crying when you write something devastating is perfectly normal and "healthy" for many writers. It's an individual thing.

As other people have said, go ahead and write the rest emotional, you can edit later if things don't make sense.

23. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

In the first novel that I wrote, I knew that the MC was going to die when I first started it. When I got to that part of the story, I put off writing it for about a week, and then I made sure I waited until no one else was home before I actually wrote it. And, yes, I did cry a bit. I rushed ahead with some of the writing, when I was describing the reaction of a close friend (I didn't describe the reaction of her husband; I figured the writing would be too overly-emotional and in any case I preferred to leave it to the reader's imagination), but then I stopped. I came back to it the next day, when I was more calm.

When your story kills a MC, of course you're going to get a little emotional. Hopefully, your readers will, too.

24. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Well I can't seem to get in the mood to writ eanother heartbreaking part today....to emotionally broken right now........

25. Cheshare

Cheshare New Member

ooh yeah this one always hurts...
    my book is about a war... my MC makes a mistake that gets her team killed, I am not going to have fun killing them off. Or her mentor... yeah, it's going to be a hard book.