1. Tani

Tani New Member

Help!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tani, Jul 25, 2010.

I need help to start a story ;) i want to write about elves and dwarfs and stuff like that :) can sombody help me?:D

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Erm...What's actually the problem?

3. Tani

Tani New Member

hmm

yes, i have started :p but i have no ide what is going to happen :p

The night was dark. Darker than what it used to be. Inside the meeting hall it was a round table surrounded by six wood carved chairs. The room was empty when Tian came in.
    - Hello? He could hear his voice echoing in the empty room.
    He looked quickly around before he stormed out.

Have writen this, it is not good but whatever :p

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Tani:

No one can really help you with this. The story is yours to write and yours alone. All I can say is you can approach this one of two ways:

1. Develop at least a general idea of who the characters are going to be and what is going to happen. Then just start writing. This is the approach I usually take with short stories.

2. Sit down and figure out the details of the story, outline it or whatever you need to do to get a more or less concrete feeling of the story as a whole. Then start writing it.

Either way, it boils down to this: you have to write. Saying you have no idea what is going to happen and asking for other people to fill in the gaps essentially means you want someone else to think up a story for you to write. I don't think that's a good approach and I don't think you'll find many takers here.

Just start writing. See where the characters take you.

5. calumcherry

calumcherry New Member

well you should get the back story of these creatures and then with your personalised story of what they are like how they live create a wider story involving that information.

I need help also how do you post stories on this website i am so confused?

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Posting whole stories on the site isn't wise, because publishers don't like it when your work is available somewhere for free--they want the whole distribution rights to your work.

With that said, if it's not going to get published or it's a very early draft (way different than the version that will be published, that is), post it on the Review board. Keep in mind that you have to post at least 2 constructive critiques for someone else before you're allowed to post your own stuff.

Just posting excerpts is a better idea.

I know you guys are new, so I'll give you a heads up: People on this site are nice overall, but asking for story ideas in a broad way (i.e. "what should happen"), asking for help naming characters, etc will get you some harsh responses from people who will just tell you that it's your job to figure out as the writer.

Just some tips. Welcome to the boards! :)

7. To get past your obstacles, I think a little bit of planning would do you well. Other than that, just keep writing.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I find creating scrapbooks or finding pictures helps me for inspiration. Raid google images, draw what you need, it will help with description and ideas.

9. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

Dear Tani,

1. Start writing.

2. If you don't know the subject matter, then start learning.

3. Remember all you did in #2.

4. Go straight to #1.

I hoped this helped.

10. Tani

Tani New Member

Thanks for the tips :p and your right, i didnt think about that :)

11. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    Sometimes a story can write itself. There are some accomplished authors who had a concept or a vague outline and just wrote. In those cases, the story unfolded for that author as it went onto paper (or screen). Many people can't operate that way but for some, this is the only they can write.