1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Senior Member

Is It Okay To Cut?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Aug 29, 2011.

Under what circumstances is it acceptable to cut? I have a friend who used to cut because her friend passed away, and she was overwhelmed with sadness and I guess the only way she knew how to cope with the pain was to cut. Do you think cutting is OK? What are your thoughts on this? For instance, if I was a cutter, what advice would you give me?

2. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Well, personally I believe cutting NOT to be okay. Ever. There are plenty of other ways to relieve stress, like for me, I compose, write, play instruments, or simply take a hot bath.

You just have to remember that its your body, and what you do to it can have serious consequences in the future. If you cut, and drop your razor(cutting implement), you could easily bleed to death; and I don't think dying is a legitimate form of stress relief.

3. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo Contributing Member

You know it's not.

But the kind of pain and emotional weight that leads to this kind of torment...I couldn't offer a solution to the problems that would be affecting such a person. Beyond dragging them out of their darkness in some way.

4. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I agree. Self-harm isn't something a person should ever see as a viable option. The individual deserves better.

If you (or your friend, or whoever does this) feel down on life, find a productive outlet that you have total control of and depend on no one for. I.e. writing, painting, practicing a sport, honing a skill etc.

You/the person shouldn't give up on other factors, of course. Still try to find a job, still try to make friends. But find some other area of your life to nurture that doesn't require another person, and let that help bring peace. It works well.

1 person likes this.
  5. aimlessramblings

aimlessramblings Member

Cutting is NEVER okay, if you know someone who is Cutting, or committing any form of Self-Harm for any reason, you need to tell someone and get them help NOW before its too late.

I Know too many people who have seriously injured themselves cause no one stepped in and said something...

Im glad someone said something to me, i never realized how bad i was with sticking myself w/ Thumb Tacks until someone mentioned what i was doing...

6. Pea

Pea super pea!

No. There are less dangerous methods of stress relief (or whatever you're trying to do by cutting).

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

From my understanding of the subject(I must admit i havent done a whole lot of research on it in awhile) is that those who cut/self harm are not capable of coping with stress, anger, and other strong emotions.

While you know all sorts of things that help you when you are angry or stressed that are healthy. These people often dont so they resort to cutting or other self injury.

Atleast this is how I understood it.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributing Member Contributor

No, it is never okay.

From what I know, people usually self harm because they can't cope with all the rubbish stuff that's going on in their life. They self harm because they can control that and then they get addicted to it so it's a lot harder to stop.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that... it is NEVER ok!

seek professional help if you think it is...

10. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not sure of your intentions for starting this thread. You should be well aware of the kind of responses you're going to get.

1 person likes this.
  11. TobiasJames

TobiasJames Contributing Member

Never, never, never.

"If you were a cutter" ... my advice would be to notify your GP immediately, get in contact with your community support officer and notify them too (the number is usually available at your local police station or citizen's advice bureau) and also let your parents know.

The most effective way to combat self-harm is communication.

12. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

One word: Never.
    There's other more enjoyable, safe ways to relief stress. =_=;

13. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

I was going to put my thought about this, but it's already been said too many times. Self-harm is never ok. At best, it's a quick relief from an emotional pain by replacing with a physical pain, but the emotional pain won't go away. You just hide it between the physical pain. At worst, you can get addicted to the cutting (reallu) and possibly die. And think about all the scars you'll get. How can that be a good thing?

1 person likes this.
  14. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

It is not a question of whether it's "ok" or not, but rather whether it is socially acceptable or not. Cutting oneself to relieve pain is generally considered a bit backward, and thus on a whole, I would not recommend it. Still, it's your body, and as repulsed as I might be by the idea, I must admit that I've got no right to tell you "no". And beyond my own disgust at the idea (simply because I dislike physical pain to such an extent), I see nothing truly wrong with it. Nor should anyone who's done something even slightly destructive to ease emotional pain.

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It's not exactly recommended. In any situation.

16. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Cutting is never okay and should never be okay. I've cut before, but I knew even when I was doing it that it wasn't a viable solution to my problems, only a temporary one.

17. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

NO it's not! You need to get somebody to talk to or get help immaditely. I had a friend who did this and her arms are so messed up now! Don't make this mistakes she made! I had 3 kids in my district who started going down this road and they ended up killing themselves! 2 in my Middle School, 1 at my nearest High School and one who attempted to hang himself in the bathroom and luckily he survived. But now he has to deal with a big scare on his neck for the rest of your life. Heck, if you have nobody else to talk too- talk to some of us. We can hope you cope, i don't want to see any more depressed people go down this road. It almost broke a part of my heart that all these people started dieing. I know i used to be depressed but luckily i never went that far.. i had my friends and family.. and now i feel much better.. but enough about me. Try to get help, and fast!

18. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I never understood this "Cutting" fashion among young people. Self loathing? Humiliation of the flesh like the catholics in Middle Age? What's the point?

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Somehow. I doubt it's this.

20. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

For most people who cut, it's about replacing the emotional pain with physical pain.

Problem is, there's not some huge dichotomy between your physical self and your mind. It's all connected. When you hurt your body, you hurt your mind, and vice versa, and it's a big circular loop that will just result in you hurting yourself more and, thus, your problems getting worse.