1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Is it possible to call 911 in this type of manner and technology?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Dec 29, 2015.

For my story, I was wondering if this scenario is possible.

Basically a gang wants to recruit a new member, so they give him a 'blood in', which means that in order to get in and be relied upon, you have to spill the blood of another person, so to speak.

So the new recruit, not quite knowing what he is getting into, is overwhelmed at thought of having to do this, and has a moral qualm.

I wanted to write it so that he calls the police to come to and stop the hostage from being harmed. But is it possible for him to do this without the gang noticing he made a call, since they would naturally be watching him?

Also when the police are called, I don't want them to be able to identity who called them, so the character can remain a secret anonymous caller. Is this possible without the gang or the police coming off as stupid, or what do you think? I am not quite sure how police technology works, but if a call is made, if you can trace the call, you can identify the phone from what I know.

What do you think?

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Yes, police can trace the call. When I was a kid, the police department was checking the 911 system so they told everyone to call 911 to ensure the system was working. We did, then later that night, I went to call a friend. Well, I accidentally hit redial and it called 911. It only rang once before I hung up. But five minutes later, the police were knocking on my door, asking if everything was okay. Really embarrassing. lol

I don't think cell phones are as accurate. Meaning if you accidentally dial 911 on a cell, they probably won't just show up because they won't know exactly where you are. So if your guy were to dial 911 and just not say anything, it's not likely the police would show up.

So, my best suggestion would be to have the hostage situation take place in someone's home. Your guy can pick up the house phone when no one is looking, dial 911, set it down somewhere without hanging up or actually speaking into the phone, and then the police would show up. That should fit all your worries, because he could do it quickly, quietly, and anonymously, and the police would just assume the victim managed to get to the phone.

3. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Okay thanks. However, since this guy is recruited for a blood in, they will probably be watching him more closely, and they probably wouldn't even let him anywhere near a phone in the house they have arranged to do it in, so that could be a problem. Plus they already know the layout of the house and the blood in was already pre-planned ahead, so I assume they would have cut the landlines already?

Plus if he used the landline, and the gang found out that later, during the discovery process, that a the call to 911 came from the landline particularly, they are going to be able to figure out that he placed the call likely. I need the character to be able to call 911 without the gang figuring out it was him when they go through all the evidence, as to how the police found out.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015