1. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

Is it worth it to join a writers' association?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Nicholas C., Mar 19, 2012.

So I'm proud to say that I recently got my first paying publishing credit :D For the past few months, I've been considering -- when this day came -- whether or not to join a particular writers' association (not sure if it's against the T&Cs t mention them or not). It's a genre based association, and from what I can tell, has quite a few respected, professional authors of the genre. To be a member you have to have had a paid credit and there's a membership due of $65/year. For less accomplished members, there is a mentoring program. I suppose that and the opportunity to network with established authors could make it worth it? Thoughts?

2. doghouse

doghouse New Member

The only person that can answer that would be you. Proof in the pudding, as some would say.

If you can try before you buy, then evaulate what it can do for you. It's not a lot of money, but then, having to pay for something does not prove it will benefit your writing.

Find the right kind of group, and it really can improve your writing, if you want to improve your craft, that is.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm not sure if it really counts as a writer's organisation, but I joined the British Fantasy Society at the start of the year, and am very glad I did. I'm really looking forward to going to FantasyCon in the summer.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just don't mention it in queries to agents or publishers, since only full membership [not 'associate' or other lower levels] in something as major as WGA [the writers union in the US] will impress them...

5. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

Thanks for addressing this! I kinda had that in the back of my head as to whether or not I should do that when the time came to query regarding my novel. Yes, it would be as an associate member since full members (for short stories) have to have had at least 3 pieces paid at 5 cents/word.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

It's too far for me to go, but I've heard good reports about it from other UK fantasy writers.