1. Similyn

Similyn Member

Queries/Submissions Is mentioning fanfiction detrimental in a query letter?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Similyn, Dec 30, 2012.

So, I have my first novel completed and edited about a zillion times. Now I'm writing my query letter and find I have nothing to say about myself, except why I'm a good one to write my story (because I'm a twin and my main characters are twins).

My sister-in-law (who has an autobiography published) mentioned the three full stories I have up on a fan fiction website and thought perhaps I could reference those. I'm not sure if mentioning fan fiction is good or bad in a query letter. The reviewers on the website are total strangers, but also not likely to be anyone an agent/editor would care to hear opinions from. For this reason, I haven't said anything about it so far. But I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I wouldn't. I've been writing fanfic for several years, and I've learned a great deal from it. However, the mere mention of fanfic will send some folks into histrionics. Also, unless the agent were familiar with the fandom, reading fanfic can lead to people thinking less of your writing than more, since there is typically much that is left out of fanfic that would be included in an original.

Basically, you'd be pointing to your practice stories.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't mention anything that hasn't been traditionally published. You won't impress an agent or editor, and you risk accomplishing the opposite.

4. Similyn

Similyn Member

Thank you very much for the responses. I had a feeling it wasn't a good idea and you've confirmed it for me. :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, in a word, "DON'T!"

6. kitt.moss

kitt.moss New Member

Someone told me that the only credits you should mention in a query are ones that indicate that someone unrelated to you thought it was worth taking a risk on your work. IE if an editor has decided to pay you money, or publish your work in print, then they've taken a financial risk on your work, and it would be worth mentioning.

As I understand it, there's none of this "risk" involved in publishing fanfiction on a website, so I wouldn't mention it. Just keep it to yourself as valuable experience.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'relevant' paid credits are all you should mention, in re your writing history...