1. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Children's Book Question

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by AASmith, May 6, 2015.

So a typical picture book is less than 1,000. Problem is, this book that I'm writing (half way done) is already 2,500 words! Granted it has not been edited and I can already see where I can slash a lot of words, but at the same time I know that I need to add more words too. I estimate that It will be about 4,000 words after editing. Have you ever read a picture book that long? Some Robert Munch books are pretty long but idk if they are 4000 words. Also I am no Robert Munch.

I feel like in order to truly grasp the meaning of the book it needs to be longer than 1000 words. I can see myself going down to 2500 if I really had to cut stuff.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It depends a lot on the age you anticipate the market for the book to be.

3. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

Usually you can edit out a lot, with a novel, say, and cut great swathes from it. But I'm wondering how this will affect it being a picture book. I mean, if you edit out a chunk, and there is a picture representing that piece of writing, does it then mean you need to drop that picture?

4. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

well i re-did the outline. The way I did it, takes my original story and but it in half, turning it into two separate and slightly different books. As it stands now, I'm averaging 65 words per page and I'm planning on making it a 32 page book and if i continue with that trend I'm looking at 2080 words which is a lot better. So far there are 10 pages, extremely rough of course but I know where i can cut huge chunks from.

Thanks!