1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

What's the best way to go about determining a spy?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DeathandGrim, Apr 26, 2016.

I'm trying to figure a plausible way absolve a main character of mine of being accused as a spy.

The Scenario: This character, Maritho, teleported herself and her friends to a favorite vacation spot only to find that a rebel base has been built there since the last time she's visited. The teleportation has also left her nearly completely drained in magic and defenseless. This gets her and her friends taken hostage. Thing about this rebel cause is that Maritho is the queen of the country the rebels are actually trying to save from their own country. (For context: These countries are on two different planets) While she's recognized as a native of her world, they don't actually recognize her from many others from the world because she's not in royal garbing and to them they all look alike. Lochi, the man who captured them, wants to believe her but also doesn't want to risk the chance of a spy/trojan horse blowing their operation wide open at their current stage.

He's to converse with his fellow rebels particularly his leader, Judeaous, and I want them to rationally come to the conclusion that Maritho is the real deal or at least not a spy. Because otherwise she and her friends meet the business end of a railgun and that's not nice. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself that any intelligent rebel would take some random alien who literally teleports to their secret base (For context: This base is thousands of miles away from mainland and is surrounded by waterfalls) as anything more than a spy or at least a liability.

How would you argue in Maritho's favor as Lochi and Judeaous?

2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Well, it depends on what she had available. Does she have some kind of photos/holographic records or something? Something that shows her with her family. Or some kind of royal seal or whatever? And wouldn't she have a guard? There'd be someone to guard her, just in case. Especially if there's a tense situation going on.

3. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I'm trying to think of something like this. Thing is she was involuntarily teleported to another star system in her sleep so she was wearing very minimal. Something maybe like etched in the skin like a design maybe? I like that idea. Something that a cynical rebel couldn't deny.

She's in a very desperate situation so much so that she's relying on a random stranger (the primary MC) who saved her from a desert planet.

4. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

A birthmark or scar could work, but those would also be easy to fake (especially in a sci-fi setting). If the rebels know something about her, have them ask her something only she'd know - that's pretty basic.

Oscar Leigh likes this.