Is six years to big of a difference for a romance?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Tallandboring, Sep 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cordoma

Cordoma New Member

You should widen the age gap. It will make the story more controversial, and therefore more interesting. ;)

2. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

One it depends on what's legal but as you said legality is no issue. Two it depends on the characters. A lot of the time people who are so far apart in age are at different maturities and different places in their lives that make them incompatible. That's not always the case though. One of my aunts is married to someone nearly twenty years older than her and they are very happy together.

Also the older you get the less the gaps mean. There's only so many milestones/revelations about life that really set you apart from others ages and maturities.

3. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

In real life:
    "8 year old marries 90 yr old"
    Many men I know are older then 46, and have a wife in their late twenties.

I think any age above 18(both above 18) would be tolerated in fiction.

Romance novels don't like women being younger then men? Is it cliche'? Because in real life it can go either way younger or older, men or women. I don't write romance, but it would seem there would be good stories about any legal age combonation. If handled properly, even "illegal" romance can make a good read too.
    And if talking of the past, most girls were married by their teens, they did not waste any child bearing years.(puberty)

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

heck, 70 and 90 happen.

4. anamardoll

anamardoll New Member

Madhoca, it varies from state to state over here, but in California the age is 18 (IIRC, there's a TV Tropes entry on this very subject), so most movies go with the 18 age limit.

Adding to the pile, I'm 12 years younger than my husband and my mom is 8 years older than my dad. As long as your youngest member of the romance is over 20, it seems perfectly reasonable to me. :)