1. Mikayla

Mikayla New Member

Hi! Looking for people to discuss writing with :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mikayla, Jul 8, 2016.

My name is Mikayla and I'm a 21 year old from New England. I love to write and dream of being an author. Some of my strengths are character development and understanding how to move a story along. My weaknesses are getting stuck and abandoning stories. I am looking for people who I can learn from and who can learn from me! I just want to continue to improve my ability and help others if I can. Let's chat.

Live in love,
    Mikayla

Rita M Gardner and bonijean2 like this.
  2. Terrie000

Terrie000 Member

Welcome. Seems like a reoccuring thing for all writers - quitting. It's tough to write each day... maybe not for a professional. But for me, I got another full time job that has nothing to do with writing... after I got home from a long tiring day at work, I just want to go for a nap and do more relaxing things than utilizing my brain power... if you know what I mean. Tough life as a writer. At least I try to write each weekend for sure.

3. Zick

Zick New Member

Hello Mikayla. I often have the same problem. I get fired up and write a lot in the first sitting, then come back to it disgusted by my inadequacy. My advice would be to never throw anything away, no matter how you loath it. I recently found a poem I wrote years ago which still wasn't great, but I reworked it into my best and longest short story. You never know how the passage of time will change you and your work.

Do you have any advice for me on character development? I have a hard time getting out of my own head and I feel like a narsasist. I'm also awful at keeping notes / planning. I tend to just wing it. What is your process like? I hope you are having a good (writing) day!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Mikayla! Welcome to WF!

I think I have the opposite problem: finishing what I've started isn't as big of a problem as, well, basically everything else. :D

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around. :)

-Kat

5. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Welcome, Mikayla.
    I just joined as well. I know how you feel. And, being old enough to be your Dad(you're younger than two of my daughters), I'm much more experienced at not finishing projects. (that is NOT a good thing!)
    I don't have the perfect answer, but I have found this:
    1- sometimes you just need to set the project down for a bit and walk away from it.
    2- it's ok to do that, but don't let it go too long. When you do set it aside-step away from writing completely, but only for a day or two.
    3-return to that project within a week.
    4-you may need to push through the first hour or two before the ball starts rolling again, and when you do-it's a great feeling.
    In other words, be persistent but not to the point where it ruins your creativity. And don't go too long without writing something. Even if you think it's junk. Keep the writing muscles well toned. They'll get stronger if you do.
    Good luck.

Now, a question for you. I'm writing a novel. Actually two that are linked, but with a story twist that makes sense as two separate books. I found that my approach to writing is that it's all up there-I don't create a plot, and try to build something. It's more like uncovering something that's buried and brushing off the dirt. My book begins with a result that will make sense once the characters and story line plays out a bit. I didn't plan it that way, but it's a way to create interest so the reader will want to see how all of the pieces fall into place. I want to be careful jumping back and forth in time, but the technique is good for what I'm doing. Any thoughts on how to do it in a way that maintains interest and mystery without being too confusing?

Thanks