1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

How to start a shared universe.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by DeathandGrim, Jul 24, 2015.

Ugh I'm dealing with a hard problem here. I wanna write multiple stories that all have ties to one another i.e some could be directly or indirectly affect another story, not so much that the stories can't be independent of one another but enough that some details do matter. My dilemma is really where would I start on this? Should I have one story to start everything off and branch everything off from it?

2. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

My suggestion would be to create your own universe and timeline. That's what I have and am planning to write quite a lot of stories from it, horror, action, any I can think of really and that are all tied to the same universe. Idk if that helps or if that's exactly what you mean but yeah.

DeathandGrim likes this.
  3. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Yea that's what I plan to do. I think what I should do is create the timeline as one tale and then let the others expand from it. You see I like to do comic book like stories where characters know each other and occasionally appear in one another's stories.

4. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

One thing to know is that books will change your timeline. I wrote a basic timeline for my universe and after a lot of though and a lot of working on my current book it changed, not a lot, but it grew. A group of people selling tech on the black market for the betterment of the poor turned into a secret government trying to help the poor by providing medical supplies and the like to different planets.

5. tanstaafl74

tanstaafl74 Member

Honestly, I would just write the first story and let that initial telling define the world. Then, after that is finished try to think of how these other stories will fit in that world. Look at that initial story and think about how you could tweak it to make these other stories fit seamlessly, or if you even need to make any tweaks.

DeathandGrim likes this.