Is there a "best writing program"?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by littlebluelie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. darthjim

darthjim New Member

For anyone that uses Apple Macs (hello, fellow lovelies), I heartily recommend Scrivener. Version 2.0 is now out and it has tons of brilliant features:

• A digital 'ideas corkboard'
    • Outlining tools
    • Full screen typesetting
    • Full document layout control
    • The ability to take a 'snapshot' of a document before doing any major editing work, and return to this point at any time
    • A little target feature that enables you to set a target word-count for the day/session/whatever – nicely helps keep you on target and helps you see the progress you're making
    • Dedicated screenplay writing software that allows you to export in industry standard formats (Final Draft etc.)

Add in a bunch of other cool features (footnote generation tools, name generators etc.) and you've got a brilliant little package for all your writing needs. And it only costs $45. No, I'm not on commission for this thing, and it's nothing to do with me or anyone I know. But I've used it for a while now and it is, quite simply, brilliant value.

Also, the good thing about using Apple Macs for writing is Time Machine. With a big enough external HDD, you can keep months of hourly revisions for all your projects and restore them at any time to any point. Brilliant. (I am aware that you can get similar software for PCs but lalalalalalala I'm not listening lalalalalalala.)

By the way, you can get Scrivener for your PC too, but why on earth you'd want to go and do something like that is beyond me...

2. Alterra

Alterra New Member

I use the standard Office Word 2007 myself. I was curious how everyone here organized their notes and drafts.

3. Amyre

Amyre New Member

I'm using the Scrivener PC version for organization and I love it.

Chiv likes this.
  4. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

Google Docs and FocusWriter.

Google Docs for portability, I can write wherever I am.

Focuswriter for distractionless writing.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like programs like Focus Writer.

If you have Windows and live Scrivener, Liquid Story binder is a better choice imo.

6. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Microsoft word in my opinion..but biased because that's all i've ever used xD.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ms word is all one really needs imo, unless writing scripts, in which case final draft is the best and the one most used by the pros...

ms word is also the lingua franca of the writing world, which makes it the most practical...

8. Vandor76

Vandor76 Senior Member

The first writing software I tried out was yWriter so I'm a bit biased. It is really good for writers who plan a lot and write scenes out of order. It's free so anyone may give it a try.
    Recently I downloaded the trial version of Scrivener. It has the same concept as yWriter but there are a few differences in their feature sets. Definitely worth a try.

I also use mind mapping software. I tried FreeMind first but that one was a bit choppy when I drag-n-dropped the nodes so I switched to XMind's free version and I'm very satisfied with that.
    I've heard of another one but did not try it (yet) : FreePlane.

Edited to add : just realized how old this tread is. Embarrassing :)

9. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

I started using Scrivener on my Mac about two months ago. It's absolutely brilliant. Perfect program in my opinion.

minstrel likes this.
  10. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I use Freeplane and I like it. It has more features than Freemind and is also a free program.

11. Vandor76

Vandor76 Senior Member

Thanks, I will try it and see if it fits better than XMind.

12. terminalfrost

terminalfrost New Member

I use FrameMaker. It's way overkill for what I do but it's the best word processor I've ever used.

13. yoodooright

yoodooright New Member

Google Docs is the Bees Knees. I write everything by hand then type it up into Docs. I love it because I have a penchant for using my computer outdoors, and frequently fry laptops when I pass out and it rains. Google saves everything for me and I don't have to worry about backing up. If you haven't tried Docs, give it a go!

14. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I'm looking at this because I've never heard of FrameMaker before, but I may need something that can do comic books/graphic novels.

Adobe's page is already putting me off it. Their video does nothing to showcase this $400 product. In fact, it's so abstracted from truth that it makes me think they are hiding something.

15. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Does anyone here use Ulysses? It is a very good mac writing program. I used to use Scrivener but I want my writing to be synchronized between my computers, and the Scrivener dropbox integration is really buggy.

Ulysses, though is a very simple writing app which organizes everything pretty well and syncs using iCloud.

16. terminalfrost

terminalfrost New Member

They are hiding the fact that FrameMaker is used for high technical writing and help manuals, like operator manuals for ballistic missiles. It's not aimed at us. BUT it is at it's heart a word processor. Try the 30 day demo.

17. Aurelius Arram

Aurelius Arram New Member

I evaluated a lot of writing software a couple of years ago, and Scrivener came out on top, particularly given its affordable price.

Some good points for me:
    'Full screen option' - actually much nicer than it sounds.
    Corkboard for organising characters, locations.
    Easy view of chapters.
    No filenames or saving.
    Compile button - to create a mobi ebook or many other formats in seconds.

As a programmer, I owe my livelihood to Microsoft and I'm very grateful to them, but would I write a novel with MS Word? Absolutely not - no more than I'd hammer in a screw.

Vandor76, minstrel and Wreybies like this.
  18. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think Scrivener and the other speciality software is good for a certain kind of writer - maybe the less linear kind, people who hop around and write scenes out of order, etc.?

I tried Scrivener and found it pointless. I write by sitting down at MS Word and writing the first words of the story, then continuing through in a straight line to the end. I don't need corkboards or chapter viewing or anything else. And of course my editors use MS Word, so... I know I'll be using it eventually, and figure I might as well use it from the start.

I save it to Dropbox so I can access my work from whatever computer I'm on, and everything's good.

19. shConn

shConn New Member

I love ZenWriter.. It's clean, simple, and has a serene feel to it.

20. Bradley the Buyer

Bradley the Buyer Member

Does anyone work on a tablet rather than a laptop or PC? Just wondering if there are any decent writing apps that anyone can recommend.

21. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I like Libra Office. It is free and it never given me trouble. Actually if my computer ever cold boots the office auto saves it. I mean hell, my computer crashed and I had to take it to a guy to fix it. 2 weeks later, soon as I start it, computer auto loads Libra Office with "Would you like to recover previous text file?" :)

SwampDog likes this.
  22. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I work on a tablet when I'm at work.
    Try using Andrew Office or something similar from the android store.
    It's the Samsung version of OpenOffice

23. Crawl

Crawl Member

Here is a fresh review on free software for writers. Hope you will find something new for your writing needs techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-software-for-writing-10-programs-to-unleash-your-creativity-1141280

24. Remainder

Remainder New Member

I am currently working on my first piece, which happens to be a book. I am using Google Docs, but I was curious to see if there are writing programs that y'all like to use to write books, specifically. Thank you!

25. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I used to use Word Perfect but I got a new laptop, so I use Open Office.