1. C.J. Hadwin

C.J. Hadwin Member

Queries/Submissions Is there a section to get query letters reviewed?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by C.J. Hadwin, Apr 15, 2013.

Just curious, I'm about 3/4 done with my novel, and starting to think about putting together a query letter, and I'd both love to read others, and get mine reviewed when it's time to do so.

2. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Contributing Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    I think it's done in the Novels section. (Saw one get critiqued there a little bit ago.)

EDIT: I'd also like to take this opprotunity to complain about how I can't post in said section. :(

3. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

I think Mamma may be able to personally help you there

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can post query letters for critique either in the Novel section, because the query is about a novel. Or you can post it in Non-fiction. But first you have to meet the general requirements for posting in the Writing Workshop (see the site rules).

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cj...
    don't even think 'agent/publisher' till you have a polished-to-a-faretheewell ms ready to submit... to do so before then would be an exercise in futility, since agents often move to other agencies and/or change what genres they're open to representing...

6. C.J. Hadwin

C.J. Hadwin Member

Thank you mammamaia...I agree. I'm working on "polishing" my ms as we speak. I'm curious though, do publishers/agents typically follow the standard manuscript format, or are they sometimes different depending on the recipient? Because formatting can take forever. I've essentially following the standard:

One inch margins
    Double spaced text
    A single, clear, 12-point typeface
    No extra space between paragraphs
    An indented first line for each paragraph
    Information identifying the author and title of the manuscript on every page
    Page numbers

This is the list from Wikipedia, but it reflects what I've seen on the websites of several of the publishers I've looked in to. I'm still not finished with my work, and even when I've "completed" it, I don't intend on sending it anywhere without some very arduous proof reading form both myself, several peers, and possibly folks on this site. I'm extraordinarily excited to get this piece out, as I have faith in its value, but I'm in no rush. This is my first attempt at writing a full length novel, which is why I joined this site and have been researching. I'm not blind to the fact that there's a good chance it won't even get published, but I don't want that to happen because of a folly that I made along the way. I want to make sure to do everything right on my side. So any advice is certainly appreciated.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i doubt any agent/publisher will object to a ms that is formatted in the 'standard' way... go here to see the details:

http://www.shunn.net/

that said, always check the submission guidelines for each agent/publisher you intend to submit work to, in case any should have a specific requirement that differs from the norm...