1. Protar

Protar Active Member

Fantasy Maths Problem

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Protar, Dec 27, 2011.

So I've run into a little maths problem within my story to do with the chronology and I was wondering if the more mathematically minded of you guys could help. In the my story there are two dimensions, called Realms (well there's more than two but only two concern this problem.). We'll call them A and B. The thing is time passes differently in them. In the backstory there was a massive battle and since then 10,000 years have passed in A, but only 10 in B (So for every year in B we have a 1000 in A.). So lets say someone spends a week in B and then returns to A. Can anyone figure out, or does anyone know a formula for figuring out how much time would have passed in A after a week in B? Maths really isn't my strong point you see.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

For converting time in B to A, you multiply by a thousand.
    For converting time in A to B, you divide by a thousand.

If you're getting into the mechanics of time, you'll know that quantum theorists suggest that time is largely relative to space and therefore it would fluctuate and wouldn't be exact, but for the sake of simple maths, stick to the formulas above.

For their one week in B, 19 years and 65 days would have passed in B. That's 7000 days.
    That is, of course, not accounting for leap years, and it's also assuming that the travel between dimensions is immediate, and it assumes that a year in your world is 365 days. Given that we judge our years by a single revolution around the sun, it's unlikely a year would be the same, but the concept is the same.

3. Protar

Protar Active Member

You mean that a week in B would be 19 years and 65 days in A right? You put B twice. But yeah that seems about right. Got my dad to have a crack in it as well and he says roughly 20 years. Also because the character is native to A (the Home Realm which matches up to our world in time passage and days of the year etc.) he's measuring in realm A time.

4. cruciFICTION

Yeah, sorry about that. 1 week in B is 19 years, 65 days in A.
    Similarly, a week in A would be just over 10 minutes in B (10 minutes and 4.8 seconds, or thereabouts).

5. Deleth

Deleth New Member

I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATH!!!

Basically though, what cruciFICTION said. With the equasions worked out you should be able to make a nifty graph that would more easily help you relate the time differences.

6. cruciFICTION

Wh-what? Why would you not want math! MATH! :love: Math is beautiful and delicious.