1. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

Moreton, Wirral, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Plotting a story in a diary format

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by AHewlett, Oct 9, 2012.

I was watching some videos on YouTube while trying tow rite my actress story and I came across a video of the Princess Diaries, which inspired me to turn my actress story into a diary story.

It got me wondering though, how would you plot it out? Would you write dates out with a small summary of the entry then write? Or map out major events and write the entries to travel to these points?

2. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

I would say that it depends on how you write naturally. I can write an outline, but I never stick with it. The characters seem to force it to change. I write outlines for college essays, and that helps alot to keep my facts straight and in place, but working with living characters are totally different for me.
    In my second chapter, my main character read a journal. THe journal I was using as a way to introduce the time period of change and how the change came about. For it, I fleshed out how many days I needed it to cover, and came up with the events I needed to happen on each day. Still, it was less than 1,000 words so it wasn't very much of the story.
    Hope this helps, but I doubt it will. You know, perhaps take a good look at Ann Franks diary. Or any other books written in that way.
    Rose

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I tried writing a novel in diary format and wouldn't recommend it - it can limit your point of view, action and conversations
    as people generally won't write passages of conversations in a diary. But Rose Hunt is correct that you should read and
    research this technique if you're going to choose it. Reading actual diaries can be helpful too, even if most printed diaries
    are mainly kept from authors or political figures. Most diary pages don't exceed past two pages and unless your story covers a
    wide span of time - 100 days could equal 100 to 200 pages this technique might belly-flop.

Another way of doing a diary style is to have passages of the diary
    contrast with actual scenes. That way you don't have to limit your viewpoint.

4. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

I know it would limit the point of view, action and conversations but that's the problem with first person POV. I would love to write this, maybe with prompts or just as a general novel. It's just wondering how to plot it.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Just like any story I suppose. My diary formatted story - was from the pov of a teacher spanning one school year -
    the diary started in September because the plot culminated in a warped friendship with a student
    and ended in June as summer parted them.

Decide when your story will start and make a linear play out of events covering a certain time frame
    leading up to the end.

Like any plot there still has to be challenges along the way and a goal to achieve.
    the good thing is the diary entries can be like mini chapters ending on a note of tension
    to what tomorrow might bring.

6. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

I was also wondering if some prompts would help?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not a fan o the epistolary form. It tends to be too detached from the actual action.

But for a classic example, read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

meaning what?

9. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

I am working on a manuscript that is done in journal form. Just playing with it off and on. I posted the first chapter in the Novel section if you'd like to take a look and see what I'm doing right and wrong. Maybe it can help you. The thread is called The Final Days Of America

Regards,

Mike

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I find the whole "diary" format terribly dull because to make it realistic, you necessarily have to use quite stupid language sometimes and bad sentences, and even worse, you have to talk about mundane daily things - or at least that's how the ones I've come across do it. There was one that opened with "Sun cream, check. Passport, check. It took me so long to find this holiday villa...!" etc etc etc and it was just the DULLEST thing. No one wants to read that stuff, but hey they get published anyway...

I dunno, call me a snob but I tend to think books like that tend to be geared towards the mindless readers, or perhaps quite mindful readers who just want some mindless fun. Unfortunately for me, the whole ordeal is just mindless, minus the fun.

IMO it's pretty hard to do this well :)

11. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

Using prompts as journal entries, though I've skipped that idea at the moment.

I realise some readers may find it dull and boring but some of these books have also been best sellers. Though, none of this is really answering my question as to how to plot one of these stories but I'm going to go with the idea that it's best to plot it as a novel and write whatever comes to mind, whether I follow the plot or not.

Thanks to everyone who replied.