1. FatCatInaSuit

FatCatInaSuit New Member

Is there such a thing as too many ideas?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by FatCatInaSuit, Jan 7, 2013.

I myself (One of the lucky ones) have never suffered from writer's block, rather the ideas just won't stop.

An example from a few years ago I've long since given up was ' Vampires + Robots + Dinosaurs' Don't ask me how it got to that. It started as a slightly altered present time with the edition of mythological creatures we've all seen it. Then it went into a Future-scape where Robots and genetic engineering was possible.

Any tips on how to slow down or how to set something in stone?

2. idle

idle Active Member

I don't think there's a problem with having too many ideas as such. It only becomes a problem if you feel it has a bad influence on other aspects of your writing. For example, maybe the resultings stories are overly complicated, maybe it stops you from editing them properly because you run off to another idea? If it is so, I think you should address the problem itself, not the flow of ideas.

3. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

write down lists of all the little notions you come up with. try developing your ideas beyond just ideas. if it flows easily, then keep it, but if it feels like you're forcing it, cut it out. If you have a character or situation or something that you really like, but it doesn't quite fit in with what you're trying to do, shelve it and repurpose it in something else.
    When I was in highschool, I came up with a bunch of x-men-type superheroes, and most have been retooled to fit in with other projects.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The only possible downside of "too many ideas" is that you can become easily distracted, so that you don't focus on any one idea. But, once aware of it, you should be able to deal with it.

5. mbear

mbear Member

Only if it complete distracts you from finishing something. Do as others suggested by writing them down and shelving them when necessary.

6. afrodite7

afrodite7 Senior Member

only if they're all in one novel,yes.i learned my lesson from that.here's what you do:take the excess ideas,write out separate story ideas,settings and things and other important stuff such as characters and sit them aside for later usage.i have typed so much information that it's ridiculous.besides,it helps you gain focus to separate the stuff

7. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

No, as Tolkein has attested to. The problem may come that all those different concepts will interfere with each other. You have to muddle their significance so that they won't become a distraction to the story, as others have said.

8. radnommandess

radnommandess Member

I have a similar problem. The advice given here is very helpful. In truth I already knew all of it. I just needed to hear/read it to make it real. cheers fatcat for asking and cheers everyone for replying.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can only ditto all the good advice offered above...

keep on thinkin'!

10. mg357

mg357 Active Member

It is possible to have too many ideas the trick is to think about each idea and if it possible to write a story or book from the idea then use it if it is not possible than don't use it.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's possible to develop any idea into a successful story/novel, if one is a good enough writer... so it really comes down only to the level of one's writing skills...

12. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický Senior Member

And thats the way how the reader becomes bored. I'm reading to discover something new and exciting, including all the stuff that has to happen meanwhile. But when it is just about showing up actors in smoothly determined enviroment, it is a book just for the chicks.

13. idle

idle Active Member

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that, but of course you can't expect to enjoy every book there is. There are various kinds of readers. Not unsurprisingly, the same can be said about ideas - you'll enjoy some of them, some of them you won't.

As a writer, you'll of course prefer the ones that you enjoy writing. But it doesn't mean that the rest is worthless; just less worthy for you.

14. Teodor Pravický

Well, on the left side is my name and cool avatar, so you can bet it was my opinion ;)

Still, topic is about the ideas and if you can put "vs" and other side something else, it would be just casual stuff, like conversations, trouble with the broken car or maybe an empty milk that every member of the family put back into refrigerator until someone responsible find out? Well, those are maybe ideas too

15. idle

idle Active Member

Yes, this topic is about ideas, so if something doesn't look like an idea to you, no need to mention it here at all. :)

I actually thought we were talking more about ideas that might seem, for example, too crazy or far-fetched to make a story out of them. That's the challenge. (Writing a good story about ordinary things is a challenge too, but I understand if it's one that's not interesting for you.)

16. Teodor Pravický

Of course they can't be too crazy, or nobody would understand them. If you live in imaginary world where you can hit on the wall and purple rain will come, officer will stop then and say "thank you for marshmallows". What is it then?

I'm interested in writing all kinds of stories, so after mentioning this, I'm right now puzzled about whats the idea and whats not.

17. idle

idle Active Member

Like I said - that's the challenge. I'm not saying I could do it myself. :)

18. BallerGamer

I said that you need to muddle the significance of all your concepts, but if you don't have enough significance you're going to confuse your audience and they'll think of your work as a gimmick.

19. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Suggestion: put your ideas in separate categories. I have the same problem and now I'm setting up ideas for multiple books, but at least they are organized:

One- Fantasy + Werewolves (though they are called Shifters)
    Two- Sci-Fi (robots and humans)
    Three- Sci-Fi (humans and genetically-altered creatures)
    Four- Paranormal (ghosts)

I could go on and on with certain areas -particulary Sci-fi and Fantasy, but the idea is to get your ideas in separate sectors so that you won't get overwhelmed in one book. Break things up into smaller pieces.

20. Teodor Pravický

Fine, but I never understood the significance in stories until like four years ago when I decided to give a writing some real shot. So I don't think it is too important. People will take always just something that they have in common or what's attracting their attention. We are like monkeys, its never about too much of thinking, but the stuff that is moving and its funny or sad.

Everything else is just writer wants to overcome other writer.

21. BallerGamer

How many monkeys do you want to attract?

22. Teodor Pravický

Well how many like me are out there? ;)

23. BallerGamer

That would depend, since I don't know you, but I'm just saying your rationale isn't going to cut it for you when you're pitching it to a publisher. I don't disagree, but these monkeys are smarter than you think.

24. alexa_

alexa_ Banned

I use the practice of separating the ideas. It's better not to use everything which has crossed your mind at a moment. You cans write something down and put aside until you finish with your current work (idea).

25. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

This may be completely off-topic, but I honestly don't think Tolkein was that good of a writer. There are a LOT of good things in his book--they just seem to be buried under a lot of unnecessary stuff.
    He needed a better editor.