1. Hannibal Alexander

Hannibal Alexander Senior Member

is there such a thing as TOO MANY ideas!?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Hannibal Alexander, Mar 28, 2013.

as it stands... i have 4 projects i have yet to complete.
    but reading walt whitman for school last night, i was inspired to create YET ANOTHER story

and i'm just wondering what you guys think about having maybe one too many ideas?

i actually think it's both good and bad. good because it's proof that your creative juices are still flowing and having a lot of ideas in your mental queue is good because when i finally finish one -- i'll just move on to the next with ease.

the bad thing i think is that new ideas can take away focus from old ideas. but i also have a bit of insecurity with my writing so another bad thing i can think of is that coming up with a new idea is some sort of sign that the previous ideas were crap.

i don't know, i'm talking too much again... what do you guys think?

2. CommanderEVE

CommanderEVE Member

Try and use the inspiration towards the works you are currently working on. I can get inspiration from almost anything.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I put all my new ideas into an Ideas file and I look to it for ispiration. Some of those become stories, some don't. But writing the main project takes discipline, and not letting wayward ideas prevent you from finishing what you've started.
    So, no, I don't think there's such a thing as 'too many ideas'.

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

No such thing as too many ideas - there is such a thing as too little focus. Write up the idea so you won't forget it; file it; pick up one current project and continue toward the finish.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's only un-good if you never turn any of them into a completed piece of work...

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

One needs to finish what they start if they hope to have any measure of success--beyond having a growing number of projects started but unfinished.

As others have said, jot those ideas down so they won't be forgotten, and focus on getting one, or maybe two completed at a time.

7. idle

idle Active Member

Wasn't there exactly the same topic a few weeks ago? I thought this was it, but now I see that the first post is only 15 hours old...

Edit: OK, not exactly the same, but with the same wording in the title. A common question, then. :) Here's the other one: http://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=58916

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

It's only bad when you let them distract you from completing something.

As it stands I have about 9 half finished short stories. 3 novels that need to be re-wrote.
    And the ideas keep coming. But oddly enough I can still finish things in this madness. Just write
    out your new ideas - enough that it won't seem weird when you go back to it -
    but keep your focus on what you're doing now.

9. ms627

ms627 Member

To me, you can only have "too many ideas" when it get to the point that you mash them all together and get a horrendously complicated, contradicting story. Otherwise,I feel like its good to have different stories to switch back to when you get sick of a particular piece.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There's no such thing as too many ideas. There is only an inability to focus on the current idea(s) while saving the others aside for when you have a chance to consider them.

11. aimeekath

aimeekath Senior Member

I wish that I had too many ideas. I never get any ideas anymore.

However, when I did find myself with a lot of ideas, I would write them all down and focus on them one at a time.