1. crazytickler10

crazytickler10 New Member

Is this a bad idea or has there been a similar plot in other books?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by crazytickler10, Oct 24, 2011.

So the general idea is a male in college that believes he is a necromancer, so he goes around killing college girls and burrying their boddies in an abandoned dock house only to raise them like an "army" (and I use that term loosely). I just want to know if I should go through with this idea or re-arrange it. I came up with it from a dream that I had and it's been sitting in the back of mind for a month now. ^.^ opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bazmann

Bazmann New Member

Is the story fully about him, or is there an opposition character investigating these occurances? A story of this type told from the point of view of the necromancer, as he tries to stay one step ahead of an investigator, could be interesting. If you show plenty of him trying to go about his college life by day as well, handling relationships with fellow students whilst trying to keep his activities secret it could be genuinely thrilling. What is the purpose of the army?

3. crazytickler10

crazytickler10 New Member

there's two more characters. A female cop that gets the case, and a "lackey" that just kinda hides in the necromancer's shadow, but with a twist of events plans to murder the necromancer and take his place as "ruler of the dead". I still haven't figured out who's point of view I should do it from. I believe the necromancer's side would be more interesting, simply because the reader would then be behind the scene, instead of like a lot of murder thrillers now a days that just follow the "good guy". And I woke up before I could figure out the purpose of the army ^.^ that might have to be one of those things that just unfolds by itself as I write.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

People will say that no matter what the plot, it's been done before, at least in a generic or general comparison. I think your idea can be good if written from the necromancer's POV. It would be something different like American Psycho.

5. Wes

Wes Member

I like the idea. Maybe even go for the PoV of the "lackey." That would kinda of be an interesting way to take the story. S/He could be an admirer of the NM and accidently catches him in the middle of killing/burrying, and to keep from being killed, declares allegience to him. Just a thought.

6. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

The main idea isn't as important as the execution - if it's written properly, it can be a really interesting story. Or it can read like a cheesy, b-movie horror flick. Either way, it sounds like my cup of tea.

Personally, I like the idea of it being told from the POV of the necromancer or his lackey.

7. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

I agree with the above, sounds like a good idea, obviously depends on how you tell the story. Don't stress about your high concept being done before. It probably has. Doesn't mean yours can't be better.

8. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

Hi. I'm new here, so forgive my butting in. I think this sounds like it has a great deal of promise and could even be told from multiple first-person viewpoints, so the reader eventually gets the full picture but each character has only their direct experience and knowledge. For example, start with the cop investigating the murders, who doesn't realise there is any supernatural aspect - or dismisses it as just some nut acting out a sick fantasy. The lackey could be the linking character, observing the crime scenes and shadowing the necromancer, so from their viewpoint they see a little more detail - but you could still hold some back. And then the necromancer/murderer is the third viewpoint.
    I recently read a book called "Girl 4" about a series of murders told from the viewpoints of the investigating officer, the murderer and the victims - with the victims speaking as though their murder occurred in the past - which was an interesting approach and might even work for your story.
    Hope you don't mind me commenting.

9. soital

soital New Member

I agree with all who say itd be amazing from the main characters POV