Is this a comma splice?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by victo, Jun 3, 2015.

1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I learned to 2-space, and now 1-space. I just... learned. Trained myself, I guess.

In terms of making the change afterward, though, you shouldn't have to go through and do it one-by-one. Just do a search and replace (I think even pretty basic wordprocessing programs have this feature, don't they?) On Word, at least, put two spaces in the search box, one space in the replace box, hit Replace All, and you're done.

(And it's just as easy for publishers to do this to your MS, so I really don't think it's a big deal one way or another).

jannert and outsider like this.
  2. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Who the hell puts 2 spaces after a period? I've never done that and I've never known anyone to do that.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well stone me. I use Pages, and when I tried to do this months ago, when I started my formatting, the search/replace just didn't work for the spacing issues.

Just tried it again on an 'old' piece of my MS, and it worked fine. I must have screwed up the first time, when I put the search criteria in. When it didn't work, I didn't try again. Ach well, as I said before, I discovered OTHER spacing errors at the same time, so no harm done. But thanks for getting me to try again.

One thing that definitely did NOT work with search/replace was removing the tab stops. For some reason. That had to be done manually. I started writing my MS back in 1996, when these issues weren't really known about, and of course, being an ex-typist I used tab stops to indent paragraphs. Now I format all my templates with an automatic indent.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    BayView likes this.
  4. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

That is a comma splice. I am so bad with comma splicing and am still learning how avoid them. But they are two separate clauses so a semicolon or a period would do.

5. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

Oook. I wasn't responding to you, though, so you're essentially just chiming in to tell us something you knew? *slow claps* :p