1. Darksoul

Darksoul New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Is this a good book?

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Darksoul, Dec 14, 2007.

Not sure if there's already a similar topic,
    but basically I'd like to use this ask questions about books that I would consider reading or buying after having heard the title somewhere, read a review, or just saw it lying in the nearest bookshop's shelves.

As for the actual occasion of my creating this topic:
    Christmas is coming and I've just bought two books.

One is Philip Pullman's 'the Northernlight trilogy' (for me better known as the 'His Dark Materials (UK)), which I know are great books for I read them a year or two ago, and I absolutely loved it (I just hope my girlfriend will like it too, but I think she will, she is into fantasy and she enjoyed the first movie - although it was not quite as good as the Lord of the Rings movies...)

The other is the 'Orcs' Trilogy by Stan Nicholls... which I bought for my brother (age 15)
    Now about these books I know fairly little. The cover, the backside, reading short excerpts in the book,... All I know is that my brother is into raw fiction (as well as having read a lot of Raymond E. Feist - but I haven't read a single of his works so I wouldn't really know specificallly what type of fiction it is), that he's something of a metalhead (the music primarily, but consequentially he is a big fan of blood and gore) and well instinctively I know that he would like a book about battling armies of orcs.
    But what about the quality of these books? Are they interesting read or a misbuy? (No, can't read them quickly, no time and it's already wrapped for christmas;))

Thank you in advance, I hope someone is familiar with Stan Nicholls and can help me.:)
  2. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributing Member Contributor

Nov 11, 2006
    His Dark Materials was probably the best fantasy trilogy that I've ever read, with the first book being my favourite, so yeah, good buy.

as for the other book, I haven't read it so I reserve my opinion for the future.