1. MarmaladeQueen

MarmaladeQueen New Member

Joined August 2011 - just curious

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MarmaladeQueen, Sep 3, 2011.

I am curious to know why so many posts that I read are from people who joined the forum in August 2011 (as indeed did I).

Where there an exceptional number of new members in August? Perhaps the site was optimised for search engines and a whole lot of us discovered it for the first time?

Or is it that people are most active in the first month after they join? If so, there must be a steep fall off of acitivity after the first month.

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

There are a lot of posts from people who joined in August 2011, sure, but there are also a significant number of us who have been here longer (many MUCH longer) that not only make posts, but also respond to them. New members tend to make a lot of new posts, since they had something on their mind that made them look for the site to begin with, and yes, sometimes they drop off after they get that question answered. I hardly think that's any different than any other site though.....

3. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Probably that people join, are active for a month or so, and then start to trail off in activity or leave.

Also, keep in mind self-serving bias is probably at work as well, meaning you're noticing a lot of things relevant to you because they're relevant to you, not because of increased frequency. It's like how suddenly you notice a ton of pregnant women when your wife or friend is pregnant, or you buy a new Ford truck and start to notice how 'everybody' has them.

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

But yes, there are hundreds of people who join this forum each year just to post for the first month and then vanish, never to be seen again. This forum has over 32000 members. I'd hazard a guess and say less than 10 percent of that are currently still using the forum.

Writingforums much like writing itself is a fad for most people. They decide they want to try writing one day, start with a flourish and give up in a matter of weeks. I've seen many people who've changed the complexion of the forum with their copious posting, and then disappear, only to have the reins taken up by some other prolific hotshot. I miss a few of the old guys actually.

So Marmalade Queen, heres hoping to see you in August 2012. Who knows what new strange personalities will be around then.

5. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Yeah, it's usually the same for any other site. New members will post, post, post until they get whatever answer they are looking for. It's been a while since I created a post, but I do respond to questions I can answer. I've been here for a while, but not as long as others, but still long enough to get to know several of the active members from before August and such.

I will admit, I became inactive for at least a month, but that was only because I have been busy with college classes and such. But, as a devoted member of WF, I always return to help others in need.

6. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

When I joined, I worked myself up to a 10 posts-per-day average, but now I'm down to 5 posts-per-day. I made it my business to start as few threads as possible.

The way I see it, a lot of new members feel the need to start thread after thread after thread. I think that makes it seem like there's a lot more posts. I mean, this time next month, there'll probably seem to be a lot of posters who joined in September 2011.

7. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

A lot of people join, start threads asking if their plot is a sure-fire best-seller, how long a chapter should be, and whether it's okay to write in first person... and then disappear only to have a new crop of members do the same. It's pretty new for forum activity, and seems no different from any other month around here.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Ive noticed i have made TONS of posts when i joined. Only because i need alittle help with certain things or i was curious about something. Im a July 2011 member and i still post like crazy. I love this site too much to not be on it, so expect to see me around alot.

9. Cain

Cain Member

I think location is more important ;)

And June! June was a much better month!

Although September is probably the new June now...

10. Manav

Manav New Member

This is a workshop where people join to learn something about writing from the big hearted members who lurk here to help them. They come, they learn, they go away, and the endeavor with which this site was set up is fulfilled. So, don't worry about who comes and who goes... that's a natural part of the life of this website. What you can do is decide what kind of member you want to be... the ones who learn and go away, or the the ones who learn and stay to help others.

11. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I'll be honest, I've lost some enthusiasm for this site as time has went on, although I still visit it practically anytime I'm online. It's just that I don't post as often as I did a while ago, and I'm not really sure why. The community is very flexible, that's for sure. New members come and go on a daily basis and only a small few are a constant.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

Well, i always make sure to log onto this website. Im still relatively new around here, but you can tell by my post count that ive sticked around. And i plan to keep sticking around.

13. Manav

Manav New Member

*Thumbs up*

I confess (since there seems to be honest confessions all around :)) I was away for some months and came back just a few weeks ago... and find that most of the members I have made friends with are all gone :(

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

When I first joined, I knew I was not leaving. This was the writing forum I needed to be on.

As others said, people come, hang out for a bit, and sometimes they leave. Why? Everyone has their reasons.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Many new threads are by new members who have not checked whether there is an existing thread on a topic. The members who have been here longer do not need to start those threads.

There are also new members who love to author new threads just to get a response. It's a way of seeking attention. Those members often leave when they aren't allowed to monopolize a forum. (No, that is not directed at the member who started this thread).

16. Fullmetal Xeno

Kinda like me? I make alot of threads... not for attention though. I don't mean to spam, i just feel lost or curious so i post alot.

17. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

People usually do trail off after a few months... some of us, though, stick around. I know I have. ;)

18. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Same here. I post threads because I either have a genuine question about a problem I'm having or because I'm just curious about this or that.

Most of the time, I'm in the lounge, though.

19. Fullmetal Xeno

Yeah, ive noticed you like to hang out in here haha. And like you said, we both ask for the same reasons so it's necessary. :D

20. DBTate

DBTate New Member

I think the lounge is good for that reason though. It's an outlet for new members to learn more about the other people on the forum, and generally just gel in to the community.

Then once they've become a little more used to how things are run, they can really get stuck in to posting, reviewing etc.

Though yes, most new members join initially for a burning question they need answered. I did it, though I enjoyed the forum and the members too much to considering leaving.

A lot of the time I like to simply read what people have to say. It's really interesting just to see what people are thinking about.

21. Fullmetal Xeno

yeah i like to read stuff about people's creative minds on here. It's very enjoyable.

22. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Similar story on all forums... people come and go etc.

I knew when I joined last November, and had this forum for company during a particularly uncomfortable bout of food poisoning, that I'd be sticking around.

Plus, as they say, 'it's the people', or at least some of them. :)