1. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by kablooblab, Jan 24, 2011.

I'll start off by saying I am 15 so if this is a horrible idea don't be too harsh.

I was thinking a dad kidnapped his son after him and his wife divorced. They are driving down a road all alone when their car slips on the rain and crashes out into the woods. He wakes up in a small town being treated at the doctors office. He looks around but can't find his son but the doctor and the Mayor assures him he is ok. At a random time every night a loud noise booms and supernatural creatures starts coming out dragging away everyone that doesnt go to the church in time. Also they cannot go into the woods or the creatures will get them. Throughout most of the book he is trying to find his son and get answers as to where he is why he cant leave and what the creatures are. At the end he walks off into the woods and he finds his car when he looks inside he finds his and his kids dead body.

He goes back to town and they mayor explains to him how he is dead, and that the town is a place in between heaven and hell where people that have died and deserve to go to hell stay as a safe place from demons trying to take them into hell. The people must pray at a certain time everyday without any answer as to why they are doing it until they can go into heaven. If not they are going where they belong. Everyone in the town thinks that they are alive except for the Mayor who knows whats going on which is why he may never move on. The main character is then dragged away because he now knows why he is praying and will just pray so that he can go into heaven not because he is truly sorry for what he did.

I will explain what he did and why he deserves this through journal entries that he writes in his time there. I will make sure to add action and suspense.

I left out alot but that is the basic plot. But do you think this would be interesting enough to write about? I don't want to waste my time writing something no one will be interested in. And How could I make this story better?

By the way if you take my idea and it turns into a best seller I will personally assassinate you:)

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

No point asking is it a good idea...Just write it! Write for yourself! Who cares if no one's interested...yet ;).
    Don't worry, no one will take your ideas. We've all got enough ideas stored in our brains...besides were all imaginative people here :)

3. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    It's all down to how well you write it.

4. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Anything can be a good idea if you write it well enough. Sounds like you know what you want to do. It's going to be as good an idea as you make it.

5. Spring Gem

Spring Gem New Member

If this idea is interesting to you, then write it. If a million people think an idea is wonderful, but you don't like it, then you won't be able to write that idea well enough to get all those people to read it. And don't worry about wasting time or words for that matter. At 15, you have a lot of time ahead of you (from the perspective a 60 yr old). Right now you need to write as much as possible to improve your craft. And don't worry about other writers stealing your idea. Give ten writers the same idea, and they will write ten totally different books. Plus the more you write, the more story ideas you will have. Good luck with your writing.

6. Tesgah

Tesgah Member

I think your story sounds quite interesting, especially the part about this town being the place in between Heaven and Hell, and how you picture the "battle" for the inhabitants' souls between the two factions (at least that's how I understood it). The story has promise, all you have to do is sit down and write it. After some writing you'll know if it's going to work or not :)

@Youniquee: Mark of Mastery, eh?:D

7. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

I've found that, for the most part, it is not the idea itself that is the strongest part of a story. It's how you divulge the story to the reader.

Not to sound like a broken record amidst others but, I'd say that's a fine idea. Do it justice with some fantastic writing!

8. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I like your idea - go for it.

9. impure

impure New Member

Great idea.
    I'd say, get rid of the wreck of the car and move the town to some fictional place.
    And add the son at the end of the story for some dramatic appeal.
    And don't give too much back story about the praying.

10. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

Should I write in limited third person present tense? I don't know which is the best form of writing

11. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Try it out, do a test and see if you're comfortable writing that way in or if you think it suites the story. They're the types of things writers need to consider and judge for themselves. Hope that helps.
    Good luck! :)

12. Sean2112bd

Sean2112bd New Member

You can write in third or first person. I think stories are usually written in past tense, and writing in the active voice is always encouraged.

13. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I agree - 'trial and error'

See which method flows, sounds the best.
    Best of luck.

14. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I think you should give it a go :)

It really is hard to tell if a book will be good or not simply from the plot idea, because it is the way you tell your story and the characters you create that can make a book into something great.

I think you should write it and just see where it takes you. If there are things about it you're unhappy with at the end, you can always re-write and delete scenes until you get it just right.

Good luck!

15. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Go for it.

16. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Not the best idea I have heard in years, but easily to perfect. I do not believe in God, but I do believe that your novel would be interesting to read as long as you write it properly.

17. Miss Jade

Miss Jade New Member

I hate to sound like a broken record but again this is up to you. Many beginner writers find writing in the omniscient third person the easiest because of it's maneuverability. You could try first person - this is a good way to increase suspense because then we only see what your MC see's and it becomes more of a mystery - but again this depends how you go about writing it all down.

Are you going to be posting chapters up? I'd love to read them and give further critique! Sounds fascinating. ^-^

18. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

I like the idea, but it does sound strikingly similar to Silent Hill--perhaps by watching the movie or playing the games you can find the similarities and make a few changes to your concept. Still I do like the idea, as I said, and I think you should write it. Don't worry too much about which POV to write from, just write however comes naturally to you.

19. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

Wow it does sound like Silent Hill any ideas on how I could change that? I remember seeing it a few years ago and it does seem similar. With the trying to find your kid in a creepy town and the supernatural things.

20. WastelandSurvivor

I think they also had a specific place to go for sanctuary when the sirens went off and released the demonic creatures--I think it may even have been a church. It's been a while since I've seen the movie or played the games. Maybe the demons don't have to be physical or released at given times, but perhaps they will plague the characters' minds if they do not pray appropriately and if those demons break through the characters' mental barriers they are captured, possessed, and taken to Hell? Just something that takes away the scheduling and sanctuary factors.

21. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

Thanks wasteland I didn't realize my story was so similar to Silent Hill.

22. WastelandSurvivor

No problem, and don't be discouraged--just make it your own :)

23. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

too late I already came up with a new idea:)