Is this a human rights violation?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Archnenna, May 6, 2016.

1. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Fuck the government.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Fuck the law

[inspirational vid]

3. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Now @Solar - you have gone too far, tho I shall raise stakes - a work rest play die ep over on the music thread, one mement.

5. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Fuck it.

matwoolf likes this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Yes, but couldn't it be a private record? Something not accessible without applying for due legal process? Like a warrant to get into someone's house.

7. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Can it be something of a species card? Kinda like an ID card or a health insurance card, and you're only supposed to show it to authorized personnel such as the police and medical professionals.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Actually that's discriminatory. Oh wait, you're not in the states...
    @Steerpike can probably cite the precedent, but early on after the abolition of slavery in the U.S. black men and women were required to carry papers that showed they were allowed to be...wherever they were. Mostly because white authorities would like them to not be there. These laws were later found to be unconstitutional. So (in America) there is court president that requiring a certain race/gender/religion to carry papers identifying themselves, while not requiring the same of others, is a violation of their civil rights.

We're seeing this right now in Arizona, where people who look Hispanic (Well, technically anyone who looks like an immigrant ((which is also illegal)). But we all know, they mean Hispanic.) is required to produce their immigration papers upon request.

Arizona is getting sued by the Federal Government for this.

So as long as every race is required to carry a card identifying their race, it wouldn't be a problem (again, at least in the States). And as long as every race has to carry an ID, why not just put a sticker on their driver's license?

9. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Oh. That was unintentional. I'm sorry, I didn't even realize.

Yes, the idea was that every species carried it, but now that you explained the implications, I'm not going to use it.

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Also: Nazis.

Probably should have led with Nazis.

11. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Mmk, back to the grind. Due to the nature of my employment, the weekend tends to be the busier time of my entire week. Of course on Sunday's I'm currently doing a Game of Throne events where I walk around decked out in weapons and costume (yes, I get paid to attend a "Feast of Thrones"), so who's to complain?

Monday is my day off, so catch-up day. Not to be confused with the red stuff.

Let's see you're asking about the legal issues pertaining to the caging of werewolves albeit voluntary or involuntary.

Due to general awareness of the supernatural society it would be more than reasonable to assume that either by government or private funding there would potentially be facilities that a werewolf could voluntarily check themselves in. The idea of national parks is not realistic due to the fact of animal population. Park rangers keep strict control of animal population to make sure no animal goes endangered. If the wolf population goes up, the deers may become extinct. If the wolf population goes down, the deers may overpopulate and deplete their food supply. It's all about balance.

Unfortunately, even though it's not under their own control, if a werewolf were to break a law during their transformation they would still have to be held accountable. It's hard to say how the law would work for them. If they were given the same rights as an animal, while transformed, they would simply be put down. Due to also being a human, albeit not at the time, they would most likely be faced with criminal charges as any other person. I would assume if they went out and killed a bunch of animals in national park they would be charged with poaching. If they killed a person I would think it would be labeled as involuntary man-slaughter. That one's really hard to say... depends on how good their lawyer is.

Of course, there's easy ways to avoid these tricky topics.

1) Advent of privately funded werewolf communities. With the purchase of large tracks of land, think Alaska or Canada, they would be free to hunt freely on their own private property. There could even be private industry by having resorts specialized towards werewolves who wish to "roam free" for a price, of course.

2) In cities there can be facilities that are oriented towards "caging" werewolves while they are transformed. There could be a fee, freely available due to private or government funding, or a mix of both.

3) Depending on the requirements for a werewolf to change, or consequences of not changing, the issues may be mute. Do they have to see the full moon to transform? If so, could they not simply be far enough underground to forgo the transformation? Are there repercusions if they are able to avoid the change? Fever, illness, pain, etc.?

My opinion? Private industry would create opportunity for werewolves to engage in unrestricted hunting at a price. A fund for families lost from werewolf attacks would be reasonable, due to counter-PR against anti-supernatural attacks. This fund could include the building of facilities meant to "cage" the werewolves during transformation to mitigate the loss of any other victim. If a few more vocal activist werewolves were to voluntarily register themselves in a few time, it would vastly help with public opinion. Great PR move. It wouldn't be unreasonable for other supernaturals to help fund this endeavor since it helps allieve anti-supernatural sentiments.

Feel free to PM me if you ever have more questions. I'm not 100% active on this forum, but I check my alerts often.

Edit: Oh, about the ID cards. I didn't really forget anything, I'm just not really knowledgable about them. A social security card and a driver license's are the best I could compare them to. I think I will look into them a bit though, since my new series has a virtual form of identification that can be used internationally. Anyone can see it, some options private others public. Need to see what should be private and which public.

Archnenna likes this.